Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CAMRA pub of the year

This Space For Hire

Default CAMRA pub of the year

It's good, but not THAT good.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Fantastic achievement,am planning my first trip to Sheffield in June and will also be popping into the Fat Cat closeby

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Fantastic achievement,am planning my first trip to Sheffield in June and will also be popping into the Fat Cat closeby
    Hold that thought, I shall be dragging myself through the Valley of Beer next friday, the KIT is on the list but there will be others you might be interested in.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Hold that thought, I shall be dragging myself through the Valley of Beer next friday, the KIT is on the list but there will be others you might be interested in.
    Will keep an eye on the pub reviews after your session.There will be a few of us on a boat in June and we will only have one evening in Sheffield.Very torn between doing a pub crawl or just hitting two quality establishments and going through some of their range.Any advice gratefully received plus names of decent curry houses in the vicinity that dont mind southeners slurring their speech.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 17-02-2010 at 15:18.

Is their 'pub of the year' selected from the regional winners?

Yes, the sixteen regional winners http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=307819

are whittled down to four http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=310793

then the winner and runners up decided http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=a315563

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

The local CAMRA branch round here has some strange ideas on what constitutes a good real ale pub
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Spritzer Swallower Manky Badger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    The local CAMRA branch round here has some strange ideas on what constitutes a good real ale pub
    I left CAMRA because of the way they vote for pubs of the year.
    Last year there was a quote that the pub of the year was chosen from pubs selected by 4000 CAMRA members, but the membership is over twenty times that amount. Why didn't the whole membership get a vote?
    Whilst not all branches are the same, I was in CAMRA for ten years, and was never once asked my opinion for POTY - the only contact I ever had with the local branch was a newsletter I might find in an obscure pub some miles away telling the world what pubs the committee had already decided on.

I think CAMRA is like many organisations, you can be an active member and have a say in what happens or you can just pay the subs and read the paper. There are moves to have a more open process rather than just having decisions made by the 'commitee' or those who attend the national conference or branch meetings, presumably through a postal system. The National Beer Scoring System (NBSS) is an attempt to make the GBG selection process more open for members who don't go to the selection meetings and that's about 95% of members. As I say just like anything else it's the active members who make the rules and take the decisions and that applies to political parties, golf clubs, trades unions etc,etc etc.