Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "We only serve that by the half"

This Space For Hire

Default "We only serve that by the half"

I think I've heard this two or three times in various places now. Do bar staff get training to refuse pints of some beers?

The first was upon requesting a pint of Leffe in the Adelphi in Leeds. I settled for two halves and walked away rolling my eyes.

Most recently, I was in Port St and requested a pint of Little Evelyn (a Marble/North Bar collaboration I think) which was 7%. Hardly stupidly strong! I decided just to settle on a half this time rather than order 2 of them. A shame, as there were a few there that I fancied trying but being told that I can not have a full pint of a beer I decided to head off after the swift half. There's a reason people order a pint rather than a half and being told you can only have a half just serves to wind people up.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I can understand the Leffe being served in halves as like most strong continental beers its not designed to be served in pints , most if not all Belgium beers have their own style glass .

Only stuff that gets refused to be served in pints around here tends to be the more loopy ciders and scrumpys , the Tiddly at Ellerdine was serving one in thirds of a pint but it was around 16%
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Haven't done the Tiddly for years. Used to go to their cider fests and camp in the field opposite. Someone thought the cattle grid was a ladder after a few there. Memories.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Someone thought the cattle grid was a ladder after a few there.
    I like that.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Reminds me of the days when landlords would refuse to serve pints to women. Probably not allowed to nowadays, because of the Regulations.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

I can remember stopping off at a pub with a couple of mateson the way to New Quay many years ago. We ordered two pints of Cripple Cockcider and received two halves whilst being informed that we wouldn’t be havingany more of the ‘loopy juice’.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

This Space For Hire

I remember when I was a student in Aberystwyth (where I know Quinno from!) and used to go to Y Bae/The Bay Hotel while it was still open. I recall it was £1.40 a pint and you got a free shot of vodka. You never really fancied the vodka with the pint, so they'd line up through the evening, until you had around 8 shots of the stuff..

Anyway, they had a cupboard of rather potent spirits which were only available to over-21s (not sure of the licensing reason for this), and you were only allowed 2 per evening. The lightweights would have the Stroh 60 (which was 60%)... there was also two different strengths of Absinthe (60% and 70%), but the real men went for the poteen at 90%. I remember having two of these one night and only being able to eat ice cream for about 2 days. I then looked it up on a website and it said that it should only be consumed heavily diluted with water

Happy times...that might have been the night when I attempted to smoke a cigar the wrong way round.

stroh that brings back vague memories of a trip to the European Football championships in Sweden 1992. A friend had picked up a bottle in duty free it certainly made sleeping in a tent easy and allowed you to get tanked up before taking out a mortgage to do a pub crawl in Gothenburg and Norrkoping.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

According to legend, the French House has never sold beer in pints to anybody...

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    According to legend, the French House has never sold beer in pints to anybody...
    Why don't they sell it in Half a Litre And One Litre Glasses instead that would be even better.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)