Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: O'Neills

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Default O'Neills

The one here in Kingston has just had a bit of a tart up so I had a peep inside as I passed at lunch. There are three clipped handpumps on the bar (Pride, Doom Bar and Purity Pure Ubu). I always avoid O'Neills as they never have real ale, is this a one-off or a policy shift, anyone else seen real ales in one of their pubs?

I've seen Pride a few times.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Never go in the places, a rung or two down from Wetherspoons as far as I'm concerned.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    is this a one-off or a policy shift, anyone else seen real ales in one of their pubs?
    I have heard of ale being available in some of them but there currently is nothing in Reading's one. I guess they are adding the ale lines as part of an ongoing refurbishment process?

I've never been to an O'Neills or for that matter any other fake Irish pub.

Guiness to me is a grossly overpriced and overrated drink.

When I visited Ireland years ago I found Beamish to be a much better drink than Guiness. In my opinion O'Hanlon's Dry Stout or Hop Back Entire Stout are everything that Guiness should be but isn't.

Didn't Guiness try and pressurise Spoons a long while back for selling their rubbish at too low a price on their Monday club?

That says everything about these global corporate abominations.

The fact that Heineken "lager" is the only "beer" available at the London Olympics says everything about what a total charade this expensive "sporting event" actually is.

This may well be a policy shift. The O'Neill's in New St, near Covent Garden, has been re-branded as a Nicholson's pub (Nicholson's own the O'Neill's chain), had its original name of the Black Swan reinstated, and of course does a good range of ales. A definite improvement which I hope gets repeated elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    This may well be a policy shift. The O'Neill's in New St, near Covent Garden, has been re-branded as a Nicholson's pub (Nicholson's own the O'Neill's chain), had its original name of the Black Swan reinstated, and of course does a good range of ales. A definite improvement which I hope gets repeated elsewhere.
    If this is the case it can be only for the better and may be worth a look. No problem with Nicholson's ,so guessing the quality will be ok.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

To be honest, I've never felt the urge to darken the door of an O'Neills, because of their keg only policy. However, change appears to be in the air, on a a national basis. Simon Jenkins, beer and pub writer for the Yorkshire Evening Post, noted that the Leeds O'Neills was selling Leeds Pale, York Terrier and Doombar back in April:
    http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.u...eeds-1-4419987

As its next door to The Victoria, I might pop in for a look see, next time I'm on George St.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I was in the O Neill's at Muswell Hill Last night for the first Time in about Two years on the way back from a Pub crawl in Barnet and found London Pride - Doom Bar and something else on tap it was on nice surprise as I don't normally go in there its just I got of the Bus right outside to go home and fancied a quick Pint. I thought it was all Keg Guinness & Lagers. That is good news because its the nearest pub to my house right on the corner of the road.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    Ooh! Didn't know that. Must check that one out!