Visit the The Good Stuff site

I’ve never felt 100% about Oscar God Lager, if truth be told. Always slightly too perfumed, too rich to satisfy the lager-hound in me, I realised I appreciated it more once I stopped thinking of it as a lager. This meant I had to adjust my expectations a little, and when I needed something to go with this simple Fish Tart, it ended up being the perfect match.
The tart couldn’t be simpler; especially if you use frozen puff pastry (which I haven’t been paid to say but am simply massive fan of). Simply roll it out, ready for your topping. Get your hands on some smoked fish trimmings, or buy small pieces (like I did here) and slice them up. For this, I used Smoked Salmon and Cod (I know…shame on me), but Mackerel would also be fine. Slice them up into chunks and then make a bechamel, spiked with Wholegrain mustard and a little drop of French’s American Mustard. Make the bechamel slightly thicker than usual, because it’s going to be your base.
Smear it onto the uncooked sheet of pastry, and arrange your fish on top, finishing with Dill and Parsley. Stick it in the oven for about 25 minutes at 180C *and you’re done.

As I mentioned earlier on, I’m not the biggest fan of Oscar God Lager (5.3%), on its own but its sultry, caramel smoothness and slightly herbal finish (Thyme? Rosemary?) stands up to a little chilling, with the whole package makes for an interesting match for the sharp mustard, grassy Dill and sweet, smoky fish. Subliminally (and this only occurred to me whilst writing this), it also enhances the Scandinavian feel of the dish. Bonus!
Anyway, give it a go and let me know what you think. This week, I’ll be trying some of the other beers in Nils Oscar’s roster.

More...