Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Strange goings on at the Palm Tree A.K.A. I don't bloody believe it

Default Strange goings on at the Palm Tree A.K.A. I don't bloody believe it

I'm not quite sure what thread this should belong to, maybe buffalo theory and beer because quite frankly its a bit of a joke, or should it be in things you've overheard in a pub except I didn't overhear it I was part of it and I wasn't exactly in the pub but almost,or is there a I don't bloody believe it thread somewhere? I don't know so I'll put it out there on its own.This is how it went.Myself and two mates arrived at the The Palm Tree at about 12.50pm after a pleasant pint in the The Eleanor Arms .We approached the pub from the side and saw a couple women standing at the open side door and naturally came to the conclusion it was the Landlady and or bar staff. Hello we said ,hello they replied not making any effort to move aside, are you open? We enquired, I can open if you want, why do you want a drink? Yes please was our reasonable response. I can open in a minute do you want a drink out here while you wait? Ok . What do you want then? What have you got ? we replied, have you any real ale? Yes she said. Ok what ones we asked trying to ease the conversation along,Ill go and have a look she said disappearing into the interior,on her return she informed us they had Mighty Oak Snake in the Grass and Breakspears Oxford Gold, we settled for the Mighty Oak,off she went.The other lady then spoke , do you want to pay for them then? yes we said enthusiastically,how much?I'll go and have a look she said, We paid on her return and waited for the change at which time lady number 1 reappears beerless and heads down to the cellar, a good sign I thought. Finally change and lukewarm beer arrives in PLASTIC glasses . I'll open the pub in 15 minutes we were told ,we'll go and gaze into the canal then we said.We supped our rather insipid warm beer trying not to spill it down us as we manhandled our flimsy glasses, in the end I ditched the remaining dregs of my beer having tired of it . We'd had enough an decided not to stay any longer,we rounded the building to the side door to find it firmly shut and no outward sign of life whatsoever. We took off for pastures new which turned out to be much easier and much more rewarding.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 26-06-2012 at 22:48.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.For what it is worth ,I am on duty in the area every Tuesday and pass by the pub on my way to and from Mile End Lock.Early in the morning there are metal shutters pulled down on all the windows but normally these are raised around 11am.The lights are never on and the review by Maldenman earlier in the year is also instructive but at least he managed to get over the pub threshold.As I can't drink on duty,I pay little attention to the pub but thinking about it,I rarely see anyone going in or out nor drinking outside in good weather prior to my knocking off at 4.30pm.Maybe the landlady isn't interested in opening at midweek luchtimes,although the GBG does list it as being opened at these times.The poor beer,high prices ,plastic cups and awful customer service should serve as a warning to others.Hope you enjoyed the rest of the crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience.For what it is worth ,I am on duty in the area every Tuesday and pass by the pub on my way to and from Mile End Lock.Early in the morning there are metal shutters pulled down on all the windows but normally these are raised around 11am.The lights are never on and the review by Maldenman earlier in the year is also instructive but at least he managed to get over the pub threshold.As I can't drink on duty,I pay little attention to the pub but thinking about it,I rarely see anyone going in or out nor drinking outside in good weather prior to my knocking off at 4.30pm.Maybe the landlady isn't interested in opening at midweek luchtimes,although the GBG does list it as being opened at these times.The poor beer,high prices ,plastic cups and awful customer service should serve as a warning to others.Hope you enjoyed the rest of the crawl.
    In general a very good crawl, Impressed with the Pembury Tavern and The Dove,very good beer, unfortunately the Carpenters Arms didn't open till 4.00 so missed that one,possibly bad planning on my part,still a very good day though. A pity we didn't manage to meet,maybe next time.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I tried for some years to get to the Palm Tree when it was open, and eventually managed it on a Saturday afternoon. I remember visiting the pub at about 1.0 PM on a weekday. Walking up to the pub I saw two ladies walking from the pub towards a car - one of them turned towards me and asked if I wanted something, and not in a way of someone asking what I wanted to drink. I said "thanks - a pint would be nice". Said lady confessed that they were "running late" and that they were not open yet, but that I could have a pint if I was happy to sit outside. A very similar experience to mobyduck's, except that I declined the offer as my principal purpose of visiting was to have a good look at the interior - which is definitely worth a good look. Possibly a good decision!!