Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is that pub all that?

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

The Boathouse in Shrewsbury allways gets in those 100 pubs you must visit lists but if it was not for the location it would just be another very average pub .

Of my local pubs the Crown is allways in the running for local CAMRA pub of the year despite lagging well behind the Station and Fighting Cocks across the road in both choice and quality of beer .
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    The Euston Tap may be marvelous for the beer tickers among us, but as a pub it is uncomfortable and often cramped. It isn't a place that I would want to spend more than an hour in.
    Interesting comment ,the Euston Tap is still on my to do list and i'm quite keen to get there soon,I understand it's quite small but so is the Harp When it's rammed, but never had a problem getting served,ok you may have to stand outside at times when busy but always a pleasure to be there. Maybe the Tap doesn't have the same allure ,hopefully I'll find out soon.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 21-06-2012 at 20:04.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I always like to look into the Euston Tap when changing trains. Had a wander upstairs last time we were in. Maybe we are always there when it is quiet, but that is how we like to do our pubs. Hate it when they are rammed. I like to look round a pub in peace.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

This Space For Hire

I usually find the Briton's Protection in Manchester a bit bland. I think it's the memorable and evocative name that makes people like it! Though I did have a very nice beer in there the other day! With Knott Bar around the corner as well...

The other one similar is the Scarbrough Hotel just outside Leeds Station. Their beer selection tends to be very staid. There's even more competition in Leeds with the Hop, Cross Keys, and Foley's 5 mins walk away.

In contrast I've rarely heard many people outside of beer circles in Yorkshire talk about the Grove in Huddersfield, and I'd class it as one of the best pubs I've visited, for beer quality, choice, price and friendly atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    The Bree Louise would be my nomination for the most over-rated pub, I can't think of better example of dross that's been talked up so much.
    I second that one sir. A genuine 'how does that get into GBG?' pub. And I am well-qualified to ask that, as Pubs Officer and GBG co-ordinator for the Reading & Mid Berks branch (cue flurry of questions about why Pub X in Reading isn't in - I will happily tell you!)

I also found The Devonshire Cat to be well-overrated on my visit. I am intending to get back there in August so we'll see if I change my mind.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I second that one sir. A genuine 'how does that get into GBG?' pub. And I am well-qualified to ask that, as Pubs Officer and GBG co-ordinator for the Reading & Mid Berks branch (cue flurry of questions about why Pub X in Reading isn't in - I will happily tell you!)

I also found The Devonshire Cat to be well-overrated on my visit. I am intending to get back there in August so we'll see if I change my mind.
    I'll third that emotion re Bree Louise - to be highly commended for trying to take the real ale route, but serving everything so flat aint gonna have folk flocking back.

I dropped the Devonshire from recent tour; very good beer range but a bit spoonsy (apart from viw of tap room, iirc). 'Well-overrated' may be slightly harsh and it would be on-map during a 2-dayer, but others take priority on flying visit.

Britons Protection, Spinko; you may feel the beer range is bland for you, I can understand that, but one could hardly apply that term to the pub itself - an outstanding survivor in an age where heritage pubs have been lost forever due to moronic 'designers' who have probably never set foot in a proper pub in their lives!

This Space For Hire

In any other city it would be the stand-out pub but in Sheffield it'd only just make my top ten!

Might divide opinion here,Wetherspoons,of the ones Iv'e ever been to I can only think of one I'd be ok about revisiting ,The Gatehouse in Highgate,Listening to others I would be prepared to try the Crosse Keys in Gracechurch Street,never made it yet always find my way into The Swan over the road.In general I think they are rather poor,how so many are in the Good Beer Guide I don't know,smacks of cosying up. That said there are many I haven't been in but enough to make my mind up.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 25-06-2012 at 05:55.
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I think they are rather poor,how so many are in the Good Beer Guide I don't know,smacks of cosying up.
    Unfortunately, despite prompting from HQ, a lot of CAMRA branches still do GBG selection as a kind of 'who do we like this year' thing than actually use raw data (beer scores).

We regularly have one (and sometimes two) JDWs in our allocation of 18. If they appear, it is because their scores bear comparison with the other 16/17. Whether that is true of places elsewhere, I do not know...!

The issue with JDW is that, because they promote staff from within, it's unusual to get a sustained period of management continuity. And because the 2013 GBG is released in 2012 based on scores from 2011*...well I'll let you lot work out the logic.

* - Yup. I know and I agree that something must be done about!

...well I'll let you lot work out the logic.

* - Yup. I know and I agree that something must be done about!
    Regarding CAMRA logic, My local The waggon and Horses,The Waggon and Horses , was CAMRA North Hants pub of the year 2012,and runner up last year and yet failed to appear in the last G.B.G's yet was a regular before that,but will return next year, it appears to be where the pub is ,i.e. available votes and not how good the pub /beer actually is.
    -W.C.Fields