Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is that pub all that?

Went to The Old Bull & Bush a couple of years ago for a bit of history,what a load of rubbish this place is ,never again.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Quite why Ember Inns and Spoons places make the GBG is beyond me too, as their pubs are so erratic.
    If all Embers and Spoons got in, I would agree. However, some are much better than others. The Queslett in Sutton Coldfield is an Ember clone pub, yet the beer quality and service is uniformly excellent. They also do not have the 'usual suspect' ales on all the time and their range changes. The Bishop Vesey in Boldmere is a Spoons, but again, the beer is very good and I never have a complaint about it.

The pubs in Birmingham that have a very good reputation that I would disagree with are:

The Anchor in Digbeth. I can see why people like it, but I find it unfriendly and the beer is hit and miss.
    The Lamp in Digbeth, or is it Highgate? This is a very friendly pub, but again, the quality of the beer is really erratic.

I love the Post Office Vaults in Birmingham City Centre. The beer is excellent and it has a warm, friendly atmosphere.
    I do like the Wellington, but it gets very full and cramped and lacks atmosphere, in my opinion.
    Across in Hockley (Jewellery Quarter) the Lord Clifden and the Red Lion deserve their reputations - excellent pubs!

In Sutton Coldfield, the Station and the Duke have very good reputations. I can't see why the Station is so special. The Duke is a good old boozer and the ales are well kept, but the range is unadventurous and expensive. The King's Arms in Sutton, in my opinion, is by far the best pub. The Theakston's Mild is excellent and the service is second to none.

The Station in Whitby has a good reputation and well deserves it. Ale, atmosphere and service are all excellent. The Black Horse Vaults is also excellent as is the Endeavour. However, many of the pubs in Whitby are expensive, but well worth doing a crawl of.
    I'll just stay till we've won the quiz...Or taken over the world...Whichever comes first

Quote Originally Posted by General Staal View Post

I love the Post Office Vaults in Birmingham City Centre. The beer is excellent and it has a warm, friendly atmosphere.
    You may be interested to read this review from one of our local celebrity beer bloggers, Marverine Cole aka Beer Beauty: http://www.funf-media.co.uk/beerbeau...ingham-review/
    Waes hael!

The Post Office Vaults is top. I was doing a recce of a historical walk I am leading for my rambling group and I finished early. I decided to pop into the Vaults at 2:00 for a swift pint. I staggered out four hours later after trying the foreign bottled beers, which I have nver done before. I also got chatting to the landlord and the people from another local bar who had popped in after their shift.

A lovely place!
    I'll just stay till we've won the quiz...Or taken over the world...Whichever comes first

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

We have been in the Post Office Vaults 3 times this week. Is an early contender for pub of the month.

Doing a crawl of Leicester and Dudley this week, Egham USC next week, then Peterborough the week after. We finish with a week near Durham so will likely get a crawl round there plus Newcastle, so some iconic pubs on the itinary this month.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.