Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snaking at the bar

This Space For Hire

Default Snaking at the bar

I used to think this was a once only sight. People queueing at the bar by snaking from a single focal point at the bar right around to the door and in some cases out of it, rather than using the full length of the bar.

http://www.ceredigion.gov.uk/utiliti...?mediaid=20605

However I have now seen it once since. Please tell me this will not spread.

I've seen it a few times at the University Arms in Sheffield, but it never gets more than about eight or ten deep. I just go to the bar and wait my turn.
    Come On You Hatters!

I’ve seen snaking once at the Tiger Inn in East Dean and like SH I went to the bar and waited to be served. I think that the problem was that the kitchen was about to close and there was a rush of food orders that had to be done at the till. Some dinlows just ordering drinks didn’t realise that it was a food queue.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    I used to think this was a once only sight. People queueing at the bar by snaking from a single focal point at the bar right around to the door and in some cases out of it, rather than using the full length of the bar.

http://www.ceredigion.gov.uk/utiliti...?mediaid=20605

However I have now seen it once since. Please tell me this will not spread.
    ahem: http://aberpubs.blogspot.co.uk/2007/...d-station.html

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    "Service is usually grindingly slow, be prepared to wait 10 minutes at the bar on a Friday/Saturday night because of the bizarre single-file queuing (presumably because of that damned pillar by the bar). "

Why does the method of queueing make service slower? (a bit of pedantry, but I would agree things seem to slow down stupidly when the snake gets curling)

Surely the Welsh have just realised that 'spoons staff are so slow and totally unable to work out who's next to be served that they have taken the pragmatic approach and made it easy on the poor fools? Maybe JDW should go the whole hog and do like the Post Office with a marked out path to the counter?

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Surely the Welsh have just realised that 'spoons staff are so slow and totally unable to work out who's next to be served that they have taken the pragmatic approach and made it easy on the poor fools? Maybe JDW should go the whole hog and do like the Post Office with a marked out path to the counter?
    Dont give them too many Ideas or they might want you to take a ticket next. Then wait too be called when you number appears above the bar..
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

It happens at two of the spoons around here , the Shrewsbury Hotel usually on a Saturday afternoon when the pub is busy and they only have two bar staff on , yet on a quiet Wednesday they will have three
    The William Withering in Wellington has a queue at busy times and if you just walk up to the bar for a pint you are told abruptly to join the queue ...... i dont go in there very often .....sod em
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    It happens at two of the spoons around here , the Shrewsbury Hotel usually on a Saturday afternoon when the pub is busy and they only have two bar staff on , yet on a quiet Wednesday they will have three
    The William Withering in Wellington has a queue at busy times and if you just walk up to the bar for a pint you are told abruptly to join the queue ...... i dont go in there very often .....sod em
    I'm sure I remember this in The Catherine Wheel (JD Wetherspoon) in Henley-on-Thames.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

It would work better if they had seperate queues for people eating and people just wanting a drink , but thats probally two easy .....
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !