Some pubs have big reputations,the question is are they justified?Liking a pub or not is obviously down to personal preference but could be affected by circumstances on the day e.g unlucky to catch the end of a barrel or a rowdy stag party happens to have taken over the bar on your visit spoiling the atmosphere.A few examples from my experience are-
The Harp,Charring cross , great pub great reputation and totally justified in my view,
Ye Olde Mitre ,Holborn ,Big rep yet Iv'e visited on several occasions and never been satisfied with the outcome,either average beer, or great difficulty in being served e.c.t.Although agreed a good looking pub.
The Wenlock Arms always divided opinion some thought it a tip others mecca,I veer towards the latter,
The Evening Star ,Brighton,great beer good pub yet I prefer The Great Eastern down the road as a pub altough it doesn't come close in the beer stakes.My examples are southern based, but what are your experiences in your neck of the woods? Could be controversial.