Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: What is it about Stalybridge ?

Hybrid View

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Default What is it about Stalybridge ?

Is this right ? Stalybridge appears to have the pub with the longest name in Great Britain and the pub with the shortest.

I was aware that the profusion of bars had led to the nickname StalyVegas,but do I need to revise my thoughts given these two "records" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Is this right ? Stalybridge appears to have the pub with the longest name in Great Britain and the pub with the shortest.

I was aware that the profusion of bars had led to the nickname StalyVegas,but do I need to revise my thoughts given these two http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54872/"records" ?
    The Old Thirteenth Cheshire Astley Volunteer Rifleman Corps Inn is a "long" standing inclusion in the Guinness Book of Records and so is more genuine.
    The Q Inn is a much more recent addition and was obviously "designed" to give Staly' both records and give publicity to the town and itself.
    But surely, to win the shortest title, it should be called just "Q" and not "The Q Inn"!

MY StalyVegas doesn't extend much beyond Stalybridge Station Buffet Bar.
    Last edited by AlanH; 19-06-2012 at 10:35.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    [URL="http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54885/"]

Alan ,you are quite right no need to go anywhere else.However I was in Stalybridge one Saturday evening and the shere volume of bars and pub crawlers is impressive even if that is not my game. However nothing can compare with Silver Street in Doncaster at weekends,it's just wall to wall bars and noise with mounted police horses at both ends of the street to ,I assume,contain the mayhem from spilling out (like some of the ladies ) It may not appeal to many PuGers but it is a sight to behold

Maybe I should start another thread on the whole subject

Silver Street in Doncaster at weekends,it's just wall to wall bars and noise with mounted police horses at both ends of the street to ,I assume,contain the mayhem from spilling out (like some of the ladies ) It may not appeal to many PuGers but it is a sight to behold

Maybe I should start another thread on the whole subject
    silver street the females make scouse and geordie women look like shrinking violets . I remember being there one halloween and the fancy dress added an extra dimension
    Last edited by hondo; 20-06-2012 at 07:53.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I've been to Stalybridge three times. On each occasion, I've got off the westbound train, walked under the underpass, to the Buffet Bar and drunk several beers. Then hopped back onto the eastbound train. And they say travel broaden's the mind.

However nothing can compare with Silver Street in Doncaster at weekends,it's just wall to wall bars and noise with mounted police horses at both ends of the street..
    There speaks a man who hasn't sampled the delights of Westgate, Wakefield.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I've been to Stalybridge three times. On each occasion, I've got off the westbound train, walked under the underpass, to the Buffet Bar and drunk several beers. Then hopped back onto the eastbound train. And they say travel broaden's the mind.
    My first visit to Staly Buffet Bar many years ago was by a very pleasant mistake.
    I was getting my usual two carriage diesel from the old platform 11 at Manchester Victoria towards Liverpool and I accidently got into the "third" carriage! I was quite shocked when it left 5 minutes early in the opposite direction. I could see my usual train stationary on the same platform as I vanished into the distance on the Leeds train.
    Feeling a little fed up, I got off at the first stop and was attracted by the "buffet bar" sign directly ahead of me.
    An hour or two later I was a little less fed up!

I have continued to make this "mistake" many more times since.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    There speaks a man who hasn't sampled the delights of Westgate, Wakefield.

or the Otley Road run in Headingley