Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: The story behind the picture

Default The story behind the picture

I appoligise if this topic has already been covered on another thread, but I'm quite interested in stories behind the pictures the people have contributed to Pubs Galore. Maybe you have a tale to tell about a pub that has elluded you, or the lengths you have gone to get that all important photo. Let me begin by recounting the tale of a pub that has elluded me - until today!
    I've been trying to photograph The Tavern (formally The Royal Well Tavern) in Cheltenham. I had already taken a photo of the pub under it's former name, however I've been to the location several times recently to take new photos, but each time the weather was lousy and would have made a rubbish photo, or the front of the pub has been littered with cars (there is a taxi rank next door).
    I spotted the pub from a bus window today, the conditions were almost perfect for a photo. I leapt off the bus (not litterally!) and waited for the damned traffic to pass, adrenalin at fever pitch. I finally arrived at the right spot to take photos BUT the battery in my camera was flashing red to indicate that it was about to die on me. With extra adrenalin, I willed the camera to give me enough power to take the photos. Unfortunatey there were taxies parked outside, obscuring the pub. Just as I got my camera into position, one of the drivers pulled away - to my joy, allowing me to take the photos. I managed to take quite a few photos - they are not brilliant, but I finally got the job done. Phew!

keep up the good work
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Yes milady, 'tis oft a troublesome affair.

I tend to visit pubs during the day, when there is often loads of traffic about. I don't know how many times I've stood on the other side of a busy road waiting in vain for a break in the traffic and squeezing off several shots in the hope of just missing the traffic flying in both directions. Other times I've thought I've got a good shot only to realise later that I've been thwarted - e.g. not noticing when taking the photo that some bloke decides to bend down to tie his shoelace at that moment and point his fat **** at you - or the time I realised that the van just in the frame at the front of the pub belonged to some pest control firm!

As hondo says, keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    I finally arrived at the right spot to take photos BUT the battery in my camera was flashing red to indicate that it was about to die on me. With extra adrenalin, I willed the camera to give me enough power to take the photos. Unfortunatey there were taxies parked outside, obscuring the pub. Just as I got my camera into position, one of the drivers pulled away - to my joy, allowing me to take the photos. I managed to take quite a few photos - they are not brilliant, but I finally got the job done. Phew!
    Well done you!

It usually happens the other way round for me. I found the Ambleside Tavern with a car-sized space in front of it. By the time I'd switched on my camera and raised it to the appropriate position, the driver of the grey car you can see in my picture had also spotted the space, and did in it what it was designed for...he parked.

I usually try to take photos without people cluttering up the image but I've lost count of the smokers who've emerged through the front door just as I'm about to press the shutter. GRRRR!
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

If no photo exists on pubsgalore, I will attempt to snap canalside pubs while navigating past .This means using both hands to operate the camera while steering with the tiller in the small of my back.Being a man and unable to multitask,this dedication to pub photography is usually accompanied by a violent change in course and then a frantic correcting manoeuvre,often causing comment from anyone in the pub garden .Haven't hit any other boats yet.

Some very amusing tales you have there folks More please.