Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First ever pint in a pub

1/- and 2/-?

Groats and IOUs?
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    1/- and 2/-?

Groats and IOUs?
    Yeah, could have been! Seriously, you won't remember that this was one of the ways that shillings were represented!

1969, I should think,aged about 14 or 15, escaped from some school "jolly" in a village hall.The Woolpack,Chilham, http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/15733/.Now a Shep's pub, I don't think it was then, but can't remember what beer or brewery,only the utter sense of dread if caught out.(Schoolmasters had real power then, corporal punishment merely the start.)
    I feel sorry for our children, with universal checking of IDs.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    Yeah, could have been! Seriously, you won't remember that this was one of the ways that shillings were represented!
    Who else remembers paying for a pint in REAL money and what was the cheapest?

I remember paying 1/10 (1 shilling and 10 OLD pence for you youngsters ie. 9 NEW pence)
    It was a shock in the Bridge Inn one lunchtime when I handed a 2 shilling piece for my pint and got no change. Rip Off! The first 2 Bob pint! In a Titbread House, they always were the dearest!
    I guess this was in about 1969.

Several years later when I worked in The Cheshire Cheese in Altrincham (and old money had gone!), the Boddingtons Mild was 11p and the bitter 12.5p.
    This was good value at the time as Boddies was always the cheapest:
    Last edited by AlanH; 13-06-2012 at 22:52.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

I was too young to buy beer in £sd but I do recall my utter dismay when beer crept over 25p, meaning I could no longer get 4 pints for a quid. It was a double whammy as at around the same time the first Space Invaders machines arrived, meaning you had to find another 20p or so if you wanted a few games.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post

I remember paying 1/10 (1 shilling and 10 OLD pence for you youngsters ie. 9 NEW pence)
    So far I reckon my 10d [4 p ish] pint of Brickwoods around 1960 is the cheapest so far, now if I had been brave enough at 16 then the 3d [just over 1p] pint of scrumpy would clear the board
    I drink to make others more interesting

I remember real money well enough, but being 10 years old when it changed over I would have been pushing it a bit ordering a pint up.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I remember real money well enough,.
    I recently found whilst clearing a drawer, loads of real money, threepenny bits 3d [a bit over 1p], tanners [6d, just over 2p], 2 bob bits AKA "Florin" [10p] but oddly enough no half crowns [12p ish]

Some are so old they even have King George V on them

I think I started collecting them because of the silver value exceeded the face value, which is now why we have mickey mouse money of plated steel
    I drink to make others more interesting

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

we were all under age and he was by far the tallest.
    This was my fate,coins shoved in my hand and told to push to the bar and order three pints of bitter because I was the tallest.First occurrance was before Palace v Orient in The Thomas Farley,which was absolutely heaving,so anyone would get served as long as they had the money.I wasn't hugely underage and could check the record books for the exact date.Price unknown,beer ? These days it's a Greene King pub ,so maybe the first paid for pint was GK IPA......shock horror.

Used to play darts and have a lunchtime pint in The Wheelwrights while in the sixth form but we used to send any fifth formers packing before they got to the bar if they tried to invade our space.

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post

I think I started collecting them because of the silver value exceeded the face value, which is now why we have mickey mouse money of plated steel
    Pre 1947 are the ones with real silver so your KGV ones should raise the price of pint or two. I heard that the Bank of England never got many ten-bob notes back after decimalisation (15th Feb 1971) because everyone kept them as souvenirs, I sometimes still call 50p coins ten bob bits. At least you can pick up modern "copper" coins with a magnet.

Yours,
    Saddoe of North Yorkshire