Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: planning route

Teetotal

Question planning route

i was wondering does anyone know of an app, where you can input multiple publics house in one particular area and it will work out the quick route to get from pub A to pub B and then pub C, i have found that if i am visiting an area that i do not have local knowledge of, i can spend a lot of wasted time going from lets say for example. the red lion, then passing the Vaults as i travel onto the english rose, only to find i have travel half way back from the way i just came to visit the vaults, , open to any comments on this subject matter, thanks

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I don't know of an app but it would be a good idea. It would probably work on postcodes rather than pub names. If you are over a largish area then Traveline can help getting between two points and includes walking as well as buses.

Maybe the maps function on a smartphone could help and I suspect there's something that telss you where the nearest pub/bar is, although that would no doubt lead you around all the sponsored Cafe Rouge and La Tasca's in town.

The other way to do it is to follow RogerB's example. Print off 6 google maps, sellotape them together, mark all the pubs you want to visit and plan a route. This app works for the first 9 or 10 pubs but then becomes a bit unreliable

PS. Welcome to the forums
    Last edited by Millay; 07-06-2012 at 05:49.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    I don't know of an app but it would be a good idea. It would probably work on postcodes rather than pub names. If you are over a largish area then Traveline can help getting between two points and includes walking as well as buses.

Maybe the maps function on a smartphone could help and I suspect there's something that telss you where the nearest pub/bar is, although that would no doubt lead you around all the sponsored Cafe Rouge and La Tasca's in town.

The other way to do it is to follow RogerB's example. Print off 6 google maps, sellotape them together, mark all the pubs you want to visit and plan a route. This app works for the first 9 or 10 pubs but then becomes a bit unreliable

PS. Welcome to the forums
    I do the same as RogerB and print out PuG google maps. I find doing it visually is more reliable than an App. Sat Navs and Traveline (or similar) can make horrible mistakes and send you on a Wild Goose Chase.

The only trouble is that my "visual app" is not as reliable as Rogers and gets unreliable after about 5 or 6 pubs!

Google maps allows you to add pinpoints and will then plot a route for you
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

As I've just been forced recently to sell my soul to Apple, as work have stipulated I must have an iPhone4S (please just let me get this off my chest... As a mobile mail and internet device, absolutely brilliant. As a telephone, piece of junk !.. There, feel better), I have been doing a fair bit of looking for a decent pub location app, and frankly there isn't one currently. (opportunity for PuG perhaps ?)
    That said, with the possible exception of paying £5 for the CAMRA GBBG App and why would you want to do that when for another £5 you can get the whole book and all the info that's not in the app..
    The best way I have found of using a smartrphone to achieve the required task of route planning and navigation is to have the printed map as backup, but plug all the post codes into the Notes app, and then use the Maps app to plan the route from your current pub to the next one on your list and then follow the walking route.
    However more than interested if there are better ways from the more experienced 'new technology' users out there..
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Go to http://walkit.com/ and you can can go via as many points as you like between two destinations. Most major UK cities are on there. Even Rochdale but not Reading!?!?!?!?

I'll stay on me own

There's an app called "AroundMe" which I've seen a friend of mine use. You can't select your own pubs, but it does display a map with your current location and nearby pubs, and will plot you a route to them if you wish. Other categories are also available, such as restaurants, cinemas, etc.

The listings seem to be fairly comprehensive, ie; not just limited to large chains who pay to be there, although how well it's kept up to date I'm not sure.

I usually print off a map as it is easier to have a quick glance of a good old fashioned piece of paper than start messing about with the phone, especially as the battery runs out.

If I do find some time to visit a few pubs and I have no access to a printer I use the pubsgalore app on Layar which is free to download. It doesn’t plan a route for you but it does show the nearest pubs to your location up to a 5km radius.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I have used phone map either through Pubs Galore or Good Beer Guide, but I prefer a printed map if doing a few in an area. I'll print a map which I can get most of the pubs on if at home and add notes round the edges of the other pubs.

If already away as I am now in Cornwall, I tend to go to a tourist info or library for a street map, and highlight the streets where the pubs I want to visit are making it easy to plot my route. I usually do this in tourist info place and get them to help locate the pubs. They often know them all.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Go to http://walkit.com/ and you can can go via as many points as you like between two destinations. Most major UK cities are on there. Even Rochdale but not Reading!?!?!?!?
    Yes, but sadly the website is crap.

I tried asking it to tell me how to walk from the Baum to the railway station (a problem trainman had a while ago).

It didn't know where the Baum was OR the railway station (mind you neither did TM by 11 p.m. )
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas