Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Derbyshire/Yorkshire in August

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Apologies I was getting my Friday's mixed up - looks like our planned trip can't happen as the Friday I am around for is the 24th - sorry.
    Np, I was a little bit confused! Means I can get a haircut Friday morning instead now

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Tuesday sounds good. How about Doncaster then? I've never been, have you?
    Yes, I did an exploratory circuit earlier this year. I would recommend Cask Corner, The Corner Pin, The Salutation and The Plough (though not necessarily in that order - others may have suggestions which we can listen to or not). Also OK were Corporation Brewery Taps (if you like Sam Smiths), The Masons Arms (if you can tolerate market pubs) and White Swan (though the beer range is limited). I would not want to revisit Yorkshire Grey, Goose on Hall Gate or the two near the station: The Leopard and The Railway (because of the loud music rather than the beer quality).

If you want to do this on Tuesday 21st, I'll finish work about 15:35 and can be at the station by 15:50ish. There's a train from Dronfield at 14:59, arrives Sheffield 15:26. There are trains to Doncaster from Sheffield at 15:53 (slow - arr.16:32) and 16:11 (express - arr 16:35). I suggest meeting in the Sheffield Tap and getting the 16:11. Return train from Doncaster 21:02 arrives Sheffield 21:26, Dronfield 21:49. (I have to get up early for work the next day! Also that's the last train to Dronfield - there may be buses.)

I'll send you a PM with my mobile number.

Cheers
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    If you want to do this on Tuesday 21st, I'll finish work about 15:35 and can be at the station by 15:50ish. There's a train from Dronfield at 14:59, arrives Sheffield 15:26. There are trains to Doncaster from Sheffield at 15:53 (slow - arr.16:32) and 16:11 (express - arr 16:35). I suggest meeting in the Sheffield Tap and getting the 16:11. Return train from Doncaster 21:02 arrives Sheffield 21:26, Dronfield 21:49. (I have to get up early for work the next day! Also that's the last train to Dronfield - there may be buses.)
    Cheers
    Ah, my caveat is that I need to be back in Dronfield for 8pm so the curtain-twitching neighbour doesn't let herself in and leave a condescending note. It's 50-60mins back so I'll need to be at Donny BR for 6:30. Maybe it's easier to do Sheffield instead, given your timings?

Excellent, so OB and A&H will be joining me for a jaunt around Leeds on Sunday 19th and I'll be doing Donny with Mr Hatter on the Monday. I may need to take it easy on the Tuesday!

This Space For Hire

I'll try to post a review about Leeds. After the departure of Dean to Brewdog Manchester and Tyler to Friends of Ham I'm not sure how Foley's will be shaping up...

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    I'll try to post a review about Leeds. After the departure of Dean to Brewdog Manchester and Tyler to Friends of Ham I'm not sure how Foley's will be shaping up...
    Quite poorly last Sunday afternoon (York Brewery Peacocks Pride)

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    After the departure of Dean to Brewdog Manchester and Tyler to Friends of Ham I'm not sure how Foley's will be shaping up...
    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Quite poorly last Sunday afternoon (York Brewery Peacocks Pride)
    Oh dear. That sounds a bit worrying.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Oh dear. That sounds a bit worrying.
    Well it's not on Quinno's list "so that's all good then"

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Well it's not on Quinno's list "so that's all good then"
    No after last time I was there where it resembled a Wetherspoons I've decided to give it a miss and seek out alternatives...

This Space For Hire

Friends of Ham - quirky little place, with an exceptional beer selection. I had a half of Rogue Brutal IPA and a half of Magic Rock Magic 8 Ball. There were around 9 different beers on and a great fridge selection. Food was sampled and enjoyed, although a bit pricy. I noticed a few people getting food to take away. It was a bit surprising how many staff they had on - I spotted 5, with 2 dedicated to the food (which was prepared next to the bar). There were a few oddities as you'd expect for a place still finding its feet. I'll be interested in seeing how they are coping in a couple of months' time.

North Bar - apparently I was very lucky in here with my two visits, the first visit I left just before a stag party arrived and the second just after they had left! Kirkstall Brewery's Prototype's 3 and 4 were sampled. I also had a half of Spaceman IPA from Brewfist of Italy, possibly my first ever Italian beer.

Beckett's Bank - one of Wetherspoon's better pubs! A Greenfield Summer Ice was had, very pleasant pint, and all the better for being served in a glass rather than the plastic container you get on Stalybridge station where you find most of their output.

Scarborough Hotel - solid as ever! Had one unmemorable pint but then a very good one by Thwaites called Sunshine and Lollihops. Really hoppy and fresh. They might get some competition next door when the new Spencer's owners sort the place out...

The Grove, The Hop, Golf Cafe Bar, and the station Wetherspoons were also visited. I didn't try Foley's...