Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pint Price

I'll stay on me own

I was in the Dominie Cross in Retford yesterday and asked for a drink of Springhead Bees Knees which had a price of £2.15 on its clip,the person serving me asked what % the beer was when i said 3.9 % he said all guest beers of that gravity or under should be £1.99 he then promtly ripped the £2.15 price off and charged me £1.00 for a half.

Does this confuse matters even more on Spoons pricing of guest beers ?

Golden Lion in Wrexham is selling Plassey Bitter at £1.89/pint to undercut the Wetherspoons next door. The nearby Welch Fusiliers is selling Spitfire at £2.
    Plenty of other pubs selling beer at £2 or less including Draught Guinness but not much Real Ale.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I am rather concerned about pint prices in a couple of the beer festivals I have been to in pubs in Cornwall. We all know some pubs have a little mark up on half pints, but I found the Turks Head in Penzance had notices round the pub that beer was £3 a pint but when I bought my 2 halves I was charged £3.50. I could not see any notice to advertise these prices.

Yesterday I was at the Star in Vogue for their beer festival. Notice above the stillage said Pint £3 Half pint £2. It is for charity. I bought my 2 half pints as I had paid £2 each for us to get to the marquee, but felt that it was the half pint drinker who was paying plenty into the charity and we didn't have any more from the festival selection but went into the pub where normal bar prices were applied on the beer from the bar. They would lose out as there was no way we were going to stay in the marquee paying £4 a time for our 2 halves.

When I compare that to the Crown festival in Penzance where £3 a pint £1.50 a half, and after we had cleared the beers we hadn't had before we were quite happy staying in the pub in good company enjoying staying on Spingo Middle.

Worrying times.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Glass Half Empty

Fullers Wild River, £4.15 in Ye Olde Bank of England. Pretty sure that's the first time I've paid over £4 in a pub for a pint of one of their own brewery's beers.

Changing to the London Porter proved a false economy as that cost me £4.20!
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
    Fullers Wild River, £4.15 in Ye Olde Bank of England. Pretty sure that's the first time I've paid over £4 in a pub for a pint of one of their own brewery's beers.

Changing to the London Porter proved a false economy as that cost me £4.20!
    If you drink in Fullers pubs regularly Old Blue it's worth asking if they have a loyalty card scheme. I picked one up in the Doric Arch, it was blank and they wrote in the name of the pub so clearly they are for use elsewhere. Worth asking. Terms are buy 8 get one free, valid to 31 August.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Thanks for that Millay, my walk home lunchtime pint is in Fullers [ex Gales] so will ask. I know when I asked once before they only had Rugby ones so of no use to me
    I drink to make others more interesting

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

The £3 ale has arrived at Wetherspoons, well i did get a penny change. I am in Central London I suppose and it is probably still the cheapest around. It was a bit of a shock though. Just as well ghe next lot of CAMRA vouchers can be used next week.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

This Space For Hire

They've clearly never been to North Bar

I filled in a web form on the Spoons web site a few weeks ago asking why the advertised £1.99 guest beers only seemed to apply in a few places. I mentioned the fact that the North London pubs, The White Lion of Mortimer, The Coronet and the Gatehouse were all NOT charging £1.99. The letter I received said that "a standard guest ale is not £1.99 in the pubs you mentioned".

Out of some 10 Spoons I have recently visited I can only say I have been charged £1.99 in four. The Tally Ho, The King's Ford, The Last Post and JJ Moons in Wembley.
    I have a feeling that the offer doesn't apply to beers of 5% and over as Old Growler in Wembley was £2.15. I think if you get charged £1.99 for a 5%+ then it's probably an error, but having said that I have had 5% beers in the Tally Ho and Kings Ford for £1.99.