Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heathrow Airport Pubs

Default Heathrow Airport Pubs

Heathrow Airport pubs are hard to find on the search pages, so can it be added as a location under 'Hounslow' (similar to that done for Gatwick and Stansted)?

Quite a few Heathrow Airport additions/amendments to follow...

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi rpadam,

We have spit out Heathrow Airport, and placed The Crown Rivers (JD Wetherspoon), The Five Tuns, The Office, The Sky Lark, Three Bells, The Three Magpies, The Tin Goose, Wetherspoons, and White Hart into the new location.

Thanks for that suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Sorry to be a nuisance, but the Office, the Three Magpies and the White Hart are/were not actually in the airport so might it be best to move them back to Hounslow?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Looking at the map and assuming the map points are correct I would say Heathrow Airport is more correct than Hounslow.

I don't know the area but it looks like The Office and White Hart are possibly in a place called Cranford? I can't guess where The Three Magpies is, but reading Philip Carter's review he seems to imply that Heathrow Airport isn't a bad description. All 3 of them also had Heathrow in their address before I got to them which I think is probably a hint as well.

Fair enough, but I only suggested Houslow (which is the post town, and where they were recorded until yesterday)! The Office and White Hart are near Cranford, but this is a locality within the TW5 postcode district whereas the pubs are located in TW6. According to Royal Mail, the location of all three is Heathrow but not Heathrow Airport (which, again, is what they were recorded as until yesterday).

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Usability normally trumps correctness.

My logic is: I think adding an extra area called Heathrow is probably confusing in conjunction with Heathrow airport. Given we now have Heathrow airport I think moving them to Hounslow would be wrong when the airport location is more correct.

If the pubs should be in Cranford (I have never heard of it, but if it is its own distinct place it makes sense) we can move them there, the postcode constraint issue is primarily Central London, and that again is a usability thing that is mainly to do with me and Dave not knowing London at all. I am guessing it may go away as more member involvement changes the site.
    Last edited by Conrad; 15-02-2010 at 23:12. Reason: removed every time, as I had a horrible foresight I could end up regretting that in a big way

Definitely not Cranford, but I still think that Heathrow Airport is very misleading as you cannot practically get to these pubs from the airport without getting a taxi to drive out through the tunnels! Noboby in their right mind would go to one of the airport pubs unless they were flying or meeting passengers, and similarly it is pretty unlikely that anybody using the airport would go out to these Bath Road pubs. Usuability suggests that there are not airport pubs!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Ok, the thing that is confusing me in this is I am trying to offer solutions. I may be mistaken, but those pubs really don't look to me like they are in Hounslow?

Assuming that is the case how is it right to put them in a wrong place further away from the wrong place they are already in.

Would it be better just to rename Heathrow Airport to Heathrow, since the airport is presumably part of Heathrow? Right now this is my favoured solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Ok, the thing that is confusing me in this is I am trying to offer solutions. I may be mistaken, but those pubs really don't look to me like they are in Hounslow?

Assuming that is the case how is it right to put them in a wrong place further away from the wrong place they are already in.

Would it be better just to rename Heathrow Airport to Heathrow, since the airport is presumably part of Heathrow? Right now this is my favoured solution.
    No, no, no (runs away screaming)...

Default A suggestion based on historical perspective

In the olden days, before there were aeroplanes, people would travel west through a number of villages before reaching Houndslow and Houndslow Heath. Here the road split into two, the Great West Road to Bath which is now the A4, and the Great South West Road which is the A30. They then passed on across the heath passing close to the villages/hamlets of Cranford Bridge, Harlington Corner, Sipson, and Longford near Harmondsworth.

Immediately south of Sipson was the village of Heathrow, it lay halfway between the A4 and A30. When the airport was built the village was demolished - completely. Where the tunnel road joins the A4 was part of the village of Sipson and my old map shows a building there called The Magpies, we have a pub there called the Three Magpies. As Sipson, West Drayton is already being used for nearby pubs why not put the Three Magpies into Sipson, West Drayton and leave those actually within the fence as Heathrow Airport?