Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 21 Feb 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    My BOTW, in fact my only beer of the week, was a pi$$-poor pint of White Horse 'Wayland Smithy' yesterday, in a particularly dreary Lloyd's Bar. It's supposed biscuit and spicy hop characteristics were completely negated by the fact it was served freezing cold. Hopefully, a much better week to come.
    I had a Wayland Smithy a while back and was somewhat disappointed with it. Made me a bit unsure about trying the White Horse Bitter a couple of weeks ago, but that turned out to be very nice!

Anyway, I actually managed to try 5 different beers during the week. Celebrated the shock BC win yesterday with some good old Exmoor Beast so that gets my vote.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I had a Wayland Smithy a while back and was somewhat disappointed with it.... Celebrated the shock BC win yesterday with some good old Exmoor Beast so that gets my vote.
    Ah well Dave perhaps a decent serving temp wouldn't have made a difference to the WS.

If you're going to celebrate, 'Beast' is certainly a beer to remove the top inch of your cerebral cortex!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    My BOTW, in fact my only beer of the week, was a pi$$-poor pint of White Horse 'Wayland Smithy' yesterday, in a particularly dreary Lloyd's Bar. Its supposed biscuit and spicy hop characteristics were completely negated by the fact it was served freezing cold. Hopefully, a much better week to come.
    Strangely enough I also had an underwhelming pint of Wayland Smithy in a Lloyds yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by HTM69 View Post
    Yes, well, I was slightly concerned that I had already knocked back 6 before we left The Pilot!

I actually think 9 pints is the most I have ever drank in a single session!

I am incredibly grateful for the lift, btw. If I had got the train from Dartford, I would have probably got on the wrong train and ended up at Charing Cross! I barely recognized my own mother when I got in! I recall attempting to eat something before hitting the sack. I was probably fast asleep by the time the pair of you got back.
    I had to have a pit stop at the Eagle in Rochester - one pint in and about 6 out. Mrs B then dropped me off at the Ivy Leaf for a further 4 or 5 pints before being forced onto "special drinks". I could have done with a few Underbergs this morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    My Beer of the Week this week has to be one from yesterday’s crawl and the one that stands out is the shockingly tasty 7.2% Beowulf IPA.
    I'm not often a jealous man, but you're taking the micky now..........

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    I spent most of the week driving around France, so I thought I would have to submit a Wine of the Week instead, but thankfully I was able to pop down to Poole on Friday and spend a bit of time in the Brew House, which is home to beers from the Milk Street Brewery. I really enjoyed their stout which I think was called Zig Zag, but my BOTW goes to Milk Street Mermaid - an insanely drinkable hoppy beer which I'll be on the look out for in the future.
    I hope to get to Brew house next Friday. Anytime you're doing something silly like popping in to Poole, give us a shout..........

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Mrs B then dropped me off at the Ivy Leaf for a further 4 or 5 pints before being forced onto "special drinks".
    I knew there was a reason I revered you as a god, Mr B. You live in a different universe to this unworthy lightweight drinking man,
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

This weeken i have had Bathams MILD, Hobson's MILD and Rudyard Ruby Red MILD and a plethora of bitters, Bathams again being one of the best. Too be honest i cant choose - life is too painful at times
    MILD:

Ooops, nearly forgot to make me choice. Yesterday was a bit of a disappointment to start with. The 'Ice Queen' went the way of all good barrels, the 'Granny Wouldn't Like It' didn't arrive, and the 'HSB' came out as gravy. The back trestle on the rack broke by all accounts.
    Which leaves my BotW as Fullers 'Bengal Lancer'. Thinkin' on it, me carvery was pretty good too, would have been just about perfick if I hadn't pigged out on the roasties. Then me day picked up a treat, I bought half a dozen bottles St Peter's Mild. Not strong, 3.7, but an absolute cracker. I haven't touched the Snecklifter or the Brains Dark I bought at the same time. Although I did finish the night with a Beast or two..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Strangely enough I also had an underwhelming pint of Wayland Smithy in a Lloyds yesterday!
    I tried Wayland Smithy in the White Horse in Oxford and it was very drinkable , tried it in another pub in town and tasted totally different , maybe its one of those beers that needs really good cellarship(is that the word)
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    I tried Wayland Smithy in the White Horse in Oxford and it was very drinkable , tried it in another pub in town and tasted totally different , maybe its one of those beers that needs really good cellarship(is that the word)
    I must have missed this when I was in the horse on my road trip. Next time I'm there though...

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    I must have missed this when I was in the horse on my road trip. Next time I'm there though...
    How can you miss anything in the White Horse , its so small , Bloody great pub though
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !