Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 21 Feb 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Should be a good one this week. 2 days in York and then Fleetwood beer festival on Saturday

I'm a member of York Brewery club, it only costs me £3 a year to join and they've just sent me a voucher for a free pint at the club bar. What a bargain!
    Not only did I get a free pint but Centurian's Ghost was on sale at £1.60 to members.

Current leader for me is Thornbridge Raven tasted at Pivo in York. Still Fleetwood Beer fest to go though!
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post

a couple of pubs in the area doing Goachers but other than that it is mainly Sheps and whatever 'Spoons can throw up. Currently trying to find a couple of decent pubs with sky for the footy
    Seems that Dragoon or Fisherman's Arms may be your footy pubs, and Flowerpot & Thirsty Pig should throw some mix into the beers.

After revisiting Redhill's Garland for some fine Harveys, incl 'Kiss' which I hadn't heard of before, we found ourselves back in Croydon's George to level out the avg beer price for the day. George was again offering some fine ales incl Bishops Farewell, but I may have to pop back to remind myself of another cracker from Brewster's - 'Ice Queen'.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Seems that Dragoon or Fisherman's Arms may be your footy pubs, and Flowerpot & Thirsty Pig should throw some mix into the beers.
    Have the Flower Pot and Dragoon on the list but they are the wrong end of town so not sure if we will make it to them on this visit. Also have the Rifle Volunteers as a must do. The Thirsty Dog and Fishermans are handy for the Pilot so they will no doubt get a visit. I'm sure there will be plenty of Sky pubs around even if they are Sheps - ideally I need 3 close together - 30mins first half, quite stroll for end 1st half and start 2nd half then quick strioll for last half hour and celebrations.

Have the Flower Pot and Dragoon on the list but they are the wrong end of town so not sure if we will make it to them on this visit.
    Wow! I don't think I could visit a town and miss out the stand-out ale pub. A mile from the Pilot; I think I'd even shell out for a cab if necessary and, believe me, that's not something I do lightly!

...and celebrations.
    We're already celebrating a day off from struggling against Stoke.

Very poor week for me

Had Gaymer's Medium Cider (5.5%) which is quite sharp and refreshing and couple of pints of everyone's old favourite Spitfire at local.

Thats about it.. I can't wait for my payday on Monday so I can go to Cannock for few pints then big one on Tuesday.. Black Country Pub Crawl, should be very interesting day (real ale wise)
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Just a miserable 2 new ones for me this week but 1 was a local brewery I hadn't come across before - Hopdaeman in Sittingbourne.

Re Maidstone, the gig is at 2pm in the Pilot which is a Harveys pub so hopefully something interesting in there. There are a couple of pubs in the area doing Goachers but other than that it is mainly Sheps and whatever 'Spoons can throw up. Currently trying to find a couple of decent pubs with sky for the footy after the gig. Put your boozing boots on - it's could be a big one! If anyone else is in Maidstone on Sunday afternoon and wants to join us, let me know and we can arrange something.
    Won't be able to join you I'm afraid.Pubsandbeer.co.uk a mainly Kent based beer rating site has some keen, if not obsessive posters frequenting Maidstone pubs.

It's going to have to be Wye Valley's DG Ruby this week. So good I may get an extra firkin. Looking forward to a couple of weeks time - got Hobson's mild coming in which is a strong favourite of mine

..... another cracker from Brewster's - 'Ice Queen'.
    Been on the 'Ice Queen' for a couple of days now. Not my usual type, but I agree, a cracker. Could yet be my BotW but it'll have serious opposition tomorrow, 'HSB', 'Bengal Lancer' and, with a little bit of luck, 'Granny Wouldn't Like It'.
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

but I may have to pop back to remind myself of another cracker from Brewster's - 'Ice Queen'
    Nothing about it on the brewery website, but fortunately some info on the Hoppyspoon's site. It's made with Cascade and Chinook hops so I'm sure I'd love it. I know we both rave about Brewster's beers.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.