Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 21 Feb 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    7.2% Beowulf IPA.
    that is dangerously high! If I see one of these, i would only buy it in halfs after I learnt my lesson at Rowley Regis two weeks ago. I ordered pint of Exmoor Beast (6.6%) and felt punch drunk afterwards after one pint!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

A hefty beer weekend ended what was a rather barren week even if it did mean a night on the Fosters on Saturday. I think if I have to pick one it will be the Hopdaeman Incubus at the Paper Moon, Dartford, firstly because it was a pretty decent pint, secondly because it has opened my eyes to a previously unknown local brewery and thirdly because I can't remember what the hell I had yesterday apart from some 43% industrial brandy brought back from the landlord's ski trip to Bulgaria...or something like that.

My BOTW goes to: Brian Turner, Amber Ale.

Yesterday's Maidstone session consisted of Brains, SA, Harvey's Best, Fullers London Porter, Masterbrew and err...

As well as the Best, several other Harvey's ales were consumed, though I don't recognise any of the names on ratebeer.com!
    Last edited by HTM69; 22-02-2010 at 09:38.

Quote Originally Posted by HTM69 View Post
    My BOTW goes to: Brian Turner, Amber Ale.

Yesterday's Maidstone session consisted of Brains, SA, Harvey's Best, Fullers London Porter, Masterbrew and err...

As well as the Best, several other Harvey's ales were consumed, though I don't recognise any of the names on ratebeer.com!

The "err" bit consisted of Harveys Old Ale, Dark Mild and Armada.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    The "err" bit consisted of Harveys Old Ale, Dark Mild and Armada.
    Ah, so thats what I drank - can you recall what we had in Ye Olde Thirsty Pig and The Society Rooms?

Quote Originally Posted by HTM69 View Post
    Ah, so thats what I drank - can you recall what we had in Ye Olde Thirsty Pig and The Society Rooms?
    Stonehenge Great Bustard in the former, can't remember the latter - I was too busy concentrating on keeping you vertical.

I spent most of the week driving around France, so I thought I would have to submit a Wine of the Week instead, but thankfully I was able to pop down to Poole on Friday and spend a bit of time in the Brew House, which is home to beers from the Milk Street Brewery. I really enjoyed their stout which I think was called Zig Zag, but my BOTW goes to Milk Street Mermaid - an insanely drinkable hoppy beer which I'll be on the look out for in the future.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

My BOTW, in fact my only beer of the week, was a pi$$-poor pint of White Horse 'Wayland Smithy' yesterday, in a particularly dreary Lloyd's Bar. Its supposed biscuit and spicy hop characteristics were completely negated by the fact it was served freezing cold. Hopefully, a much better week to come.
    Last edited by aleandhearty; 22-02-2010 at 14:31. Reason: Removal of an erroneous grocer's apostrophe.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Stonehenge Great Bustard in the former, can't remember the latter - I was too busy concentrating on keeping you vertical.
    Yes, well, I was slightly concerned that I had already knocked back 6 before we left The Pilot!

I actually think 9 pints is the most I have ever drank in a single session!

I am incredibly grateful for the lift, btw. If I had got the train from Dartford, I would have probably got on the wrong train and ended up at Charing Cross! I barely recognized my own mother when I got in! I recall attempting to eat something before hitting the sack. I was probably fast asleep by the time the pair of you got back.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Not only did I get a free pint but Centurian's Ghost was on sale at £1.60 to members.

Current leader for me is Thornbridge Raven tasted at Pivo in York. Still Fleetwood Beer fest to go though!
    Despite many a fine beer at Fleetwood, Thornbridge Raven still wins, dark and complex gets me all the time.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas