Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pub Of The Month - May 2012

Default Pub Of The Month - May 2012

As demanded by hondo.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Thumbs up this is an excellent thread

the beer is the star in this Cask Corner quirky city centre pub
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

The Organ Grinder in Nottingham is going to take some beating. Top ale from those magicians at Blue Monkey.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

My vote for May is going to be the Gardeners Arms in Lewes. Just as good as i remembered it, a friendly community pub, a true freehouse where the emphasis is clearly on the ever changing beers. This would definitely be in my top 5 UK pubs.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

I'll stay on me own

Visited lots of nice Hook Norton pubs yesterday so my pub of the month goes to the Butchers Arms in Kings Sutton.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Really enjoyed visiting The Sussex Arms in Twickenham, after partying all day at the HSBC Sevens tournament, last weekend. Lovely traditional roadside pub, great beer, friendly staff and a varied clientele making for a good atmosphere. Can't see me visiting anywhere better this month.
    Last edited by aleandhearty; 21-05-2012 at 14:19.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire

After a good crawl around Sheffield, taking in Sheffield Tap, Dada (was Trippets), Rutland Arms, Sir Benjamin Huntsman, Red Deer, Bath Hotel, and then the four up at Kelham Island it's a really tough battle this month. Also on form has been the Cross Keys in Leeds. What's been odd for me this month is that I don't recall a May visit to either Foley's, North Bar, or the Fox & Newt. This weekend promises to be a fairly quiet affair with preparations for the move to Manchester afoot.

The winner can be chosen now, and will have to be the Thornbridge-run Bath Hotel in Sheffield. Any pub that you can walk into and order a roast pork barm (with crispy skin and all condiments included) at 1pm with the roast straight out of the oven stands a pretty good chance. That it was able to be enjoyed with a pint of (decent) Jaipur is even better. Friendly bar staff who aided a drinking colleague who was less well-versed in ale also contributed (she had a Dark Star Hophead). A good game of darts followed, an all-round enjoyable experience amongst very strong competition.

One warning...don't drink Jaipur at 1pm
    Last edited by Spinko; 24-05-2012 at 07:38.

Definitely the Five Bells , East Brabourne for me. Eclectic,local food and drink led pub, with Goacher's Crown Imperial Stout as the House beer. Report to follow!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Very low on the pub front for May due to Canada trip, but of the 3 we have been to since we got to Cornwall on Saturday, it has to be the Britannia in Chacewater. Closely followed by the Star at Vogue. We will be visiting these 2 pubs quite a bit during our stay down here.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Best month of the year so far,and some real contenders.I was most impressed by The Hope,Carshalton and their beer festival ales were in great nick. The 50p return to Brum deal on Chiltern Rail meant my first trip to The Post Office Vaults. Another visit to The Organ Grinder,Nottingham produced fabulous ale but for the whole package,tip top beer,great interior,solid atmosphere I am going to nominate the Prince Rupert ,Newark as POTM. A natural overnight venue when sailing down The Trent,I have spent many fruitless night in this historic town seeking quality ale over many years,and I have now been rewarded for my persistence.It's a joy.