Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Adding Pubs

Default Adding Pubs

Seeing the thread about rpadam's technical problem in adding pubs got me thinking about a small problem I've encountered. Dave said that in most cases when non-regular forum users ask for pubs to be added it turns out that the pub is already on the site. But I have some sympathy with people having to find out if a pub is already on here.

Some while ago I came across a pub in Wandsworth that was not listed on here. Now Wandsworth is a well trodden area by London reviewers so my first though was that it really was on here somewhere and I had failed to find it somehow. Obviously it wasn't listed under its current name so I then searched for it under closed pubs of that name, but no joy. Map points were no help, as you can't see a map point of a closed pub unless you can find the pub. This is when it got tricky - I then thought it might have been closed under a previous name, and opened under a new name (it does happen!). In that case I thought that the only way I might find it is to look at all the closed pubs in Wandsworth to see if one of them was listed at the address of the pub I had found (I had found the address of the pub elsewhere). When I still didn't find the pub on the site I added it as a new pub.

But - is there an easier way to find a pub closed under a different name than the tortuous method I employed? Has anyone else encountered this situation and come up with a better solution?

If you type in the first line of the address and/or the postcode into the search box it will list the pub if it is on here and the details were previously submitted correctly. For example, typing in 77 Enville Street, the first pub that comes up is The Royal Exchange located at 77 Enville Street.

It can be a bit tricky if you’re looking for a pub on Station Road or London Street and the system is very unforgiving if the spelling isn’t correct.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Normally just banging in the postcode is enough to bring up any potential duplicates (assuming both the postcodes are correct!).

OK - thanks for that chaps.