Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: 'Add Pub' Feature Problem

Default 'Add Pub' Feature Problem

Conrad,

Update to the 'Add Pub' feature problem raised previously: I have now got a new PC and still cannot get any further than the postcode check page. I know it isn't me doing something wrong as it always works OK on my mobile, but it seems odd that the feature doesn't work on two completely different PCs (although both Windows 7 / IE9).

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I just checked, on my home machine with Windows 7 & IE9 I can add pubs fine. Only thing I can think is that it may be a third party product interfering, something like Norton antivirus may take offence, particularly as this involves postcodes.

Eventually it would be nice to change the interface to be more like the review system works, but I am not sure when I will find the time as things stand.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I just checked, on my home machine with Windows 7 & IE9 I can add pubs fine. Only thing I can think is that it may be a third party product interfering, something like Norton antivirus may take offence, particularly as this involves postcodes.

Eventually it would be nice to change the interface to be more like the review system works, but I am not sure when I will find the time as things stand.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Understood, and it's not really a problem for me as I know that I can do it using my mobile - my concern is only that other people may be put off from adding pubs if the feature doesn't work for them (without an obvious explanation). I suspect you are right about a third-party product, but it can't be Norton anti-virus because although it is currently installed on my new PC it wasn't on the previous machine.

Might it be worth putting a note on the 'Add Pub' page steering them towards providing details via the Forums if they have a problem progressing beyond the postcode check?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Up to Dave, it is not a decision that affects me so if he wants it he should either ask me to implement it or he can do it.

How important is it as a feature? It seems to me that we get as many requests to remove pubs as to add them, if it were up to me I wouldn't want to be increasing that churn.

As a side thought IE9 does have some appalling security features that are probably behind all this. I ended up having to switch them off on mine as they were stopping me using some sites on any browser, so I guess it could be embedded in there. Just another case that the whole interface needs rewriting really, if it is embedded in those the fact that you can add reviews should mean adding pubs is repairable by tidying up the code at my end.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Might it be worth putting a note on the 'Add Pub' page steering them towards providing details via the Forums if they have a problem progressing beyond the postcode check?
    The overwhelming majority of new pubs are added by regular site users who know that if there is an issue they can use the site feedback or forums.

Whenever we get a pub suggested by a non regular (of which there are maybe 1-2 a week) it is almost inevitably already listed anyway and they just haven't looked for it. So not too worried that we are likely to be missing out on much to be honest.