Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 29th April 2012)

Had a fair few good beers this week, but few (if any) fantastic ones.

After a good session today I'll go for Vale brewery St Georges - a hefty 4.8% copper ale at the Nags; the two I had earlier were in fantastic nick and slipped down easily. Runner-up was West Berks Mr Chubbs Lunchtime at the Foresters earlier

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Het Anker Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Kaiser 2008. Beat the Duvel Triple Hop. Good job the 75cl bottle pries were shared.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Glass Half Empty

Having spent most of the week in Dubrovnik, largely drinking the excellent local spirits, my beer list is a tad short this week:

Ozujsko (a Croatian lager)
    Karlovacko (a Croatian lager)
    Dark Star - Partridge
    Twickenham - Four Grains
    Bath Ales - Gem

Ozujsko nearly got my vote. But the Bath Ales Gem finally redeemed it for British beer
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

No pub again this week, but a couple of notable bottles:Fuller Smith and Turner's Double Stout in their Past Masters series-a decent drink, but not as exciting as I'd hoped, and hellish expensive-£3.05.Also, not bottle conditioned. Secondly, Hop Top from Old Dairy, a so-called Double IPA.Very intensively hopped-not sure what varieties.Again, expensive-£1.95 for a "nip".It is sometimes available on cask.On the whole, that will be my BOTW, as I can see myself thinking about it, and drinking it again.Hopefully, at least one pub visit this week.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Sadly brought back only as a special for April but showing Roosters is in safe hands, BOTW is Roosters Leghorn

4 main contenders this week - the new Black Sheep All Creatures at my local Ivy Leaf, Kent Spring Wheat at my local 'Spoons, By The Horns Bobby on the Wheat (the Wheat seems to be recurring theme here) at the magnificent Southampton Arms and the one to top them all, Redemption Big Chief at the Bull & Last in Dartmouth Park and at £4.50 a pint it bloody well should be BotW!

Had an unusually high number of dreadful beers this week, but thankfully a few good ones showed themselves over the weekend with Moorhouse Black Cat, Acorn Blonde and Bristol Brewers United Smoked Porter all contenders. But BOTW goes to Oakham Asylum - a new Oakham beer for me and a good addition to their range.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    I don't think I've ever had a beer I didn't like from Marble, I just don't see enough of it. I'm envious.

Not a bad week:
    Oakham Bishops Farewell
    Great Oakley Fly the Flag
    Hop Back Summer Lightening
    Holdens Golden Glow
    Jennings Snecklifter
    Pedigree
    Bass
    Leatherbritches Coopers and Bounder
    Full Mash Warlord
    Beowulf Gold Work
    Blue Monkey 99 Red Baboons

Some excellent ale in there and one or two new breweries for me. Of note were the Leatherbritches Coopers in The Coopers Arms, Weston, Bass in The Coopers Tavern, Burton and the ever excellent Summer Lightening here. BOTW though was Blue Monkey 99 Red Baboons, in The Crown, Beeston, which having tried a number of other ales really stood out as quality.
    Their Ginger was a touch astringent but yes I agree they really do have a good batch going on.

Additions, if I remember them, follow.

Everards - Sunchaser
    erm....I had several others but nowt otherwise memorable so I will have to go with the Everards-Sunchaserd which 4 of us all enjoyed in the Square Peg in Birmingham.

This Space For Hire

There was a Thornbridge-Kipling and a Magic Rock-High Wire in York too but not memorable enough.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

A decent week for me, with some excellent beers on my preferred Sunday afternoon crawl of The Hop, Harry's Bar, Bull & Fairhouse and the Fernandes Tap. The Tap had a mini festival over the weekend featuring 20 of its own beers, some of which were outstanding. Tried this week:

Mallinsons - Eye Pea Ay.
    Rat - Rat-atouille.
    Titanic - Stout.
    Acorn - God Save The Queen.
    Abbeydale - Absolution.
    Cropton - Yorkshire Moors.
    Town House - Barney's Stout.
    Fernandes - Light Mild.
    Fernandes - Columbus.
    Fernandes - Octohop.
    Fernandes - Two Brewers.
    Fernandes - Ne(ale)ly.
    Fernandes - Pecker's Park Bench.

Honorable mentions for the Columbus and Pecker's Park Bench (dangerously drinkable for 7.4%), but the Rat-atouille, made with Citra hops was on superb form, at The Hop.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.