Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotland bound from Canada

Hybrid View

Spritzer Swallower

Default Scotland bound from Canada

Hello to anyone who finds their way to this message. I live in Kingston Ontario Canada which is approximately 230 kms from the city of Toronto, perhaps you have heard of that. I have been searching for my father whom I have never met for over ten years. It has lead me to his hometown of I believe to be Auchenleck I hope I got that correct. First I was looking at a town of Auchinloch but that was my error. Anyway I am rambling here, so in my search I have found a couple of long lost relatives who I am hoping to meet soon. I am coming to Scotland for my first time on May 30th until June 9th. I am staying in Glasgow for a night, Edinburgh for two nights, Fort William for two nights, Perth for one night, and St Andrews for one night. Something like that. I have rented a car and I have heard driving in the large cities can be trying. I am up for the challenge. I have driven in Los Angeles California on a number of occasions, New York City on at least three occasions, and of course Toronto which is our largest city in Canada at approx 6 million. But on the left hand side of the road, well never. So my question out to whoever is where are some good places to eat, and I don't need high end places. I am looking for good food, as well as a few good pubs. Not necessarily the modern wave we see in all the large centers. Somewhere safe for a person travelling alone, but that part I don't mind. Just don't want to get into a muck So I am open to suggestions

Hi Harry, You'll certainly have to cherry pick the good pubs in Glasgow having only one night and two nights in Edinburgh will mean the same.

Where are you staying in Glasgow & Edinburgh? I should be able to recommend a few candidates for you depending on which bit of the city you're in.

I used to work and live in Edinburgh and was there for a couple of nights myself a week or so ago.

My company also had an office in Glasgow, so I spent quite a few one-nighters there as well.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Spritzer Swallower

In Edinburgh I am staying at the Premier Inn Haymarket. Is it a dump? Or is it ok? If its a dump then I will just move on. But that is where I am booked. As far as Glasgow I am not that confident in the hotel by its the Holiday Inn Express. I guess I shall find out where it is when I get there. Other then that I am just looking forward to seeing the towns, countryside and what ever happens along the way. Thanks so much for responding.

Spritzer Swallower

I believe I left the message under one from Oldboots and hopefully you are able to read that. thanks for the heads up. I am staying at the Premier Inn Haymarket in Edinburgh and in Glasgow I am at The Holiday Inn Express. Am I in the boondocks or am I ok. I have no idea what either place is like. fill me in. Thanks again.

Cool

in Edinburgh you will be able to enjoy the ongoing roadworks for the instillation of a tram route current estimated cost £1 billion(more than double original cost), years behind schedule, less than half the length of what was originally proposed basically replacing one bus that goes from the airport to st andrews square sorry back to the pubs some edinburgh selections

Cask & Barrel
    The Barony Bar
    The Conan Doyle
    Cafe Royal Circle Bar
    Guildford Arms
    Halfway House
    The Abbotsford
    if travelling about Edinburgh city centre lrt buses http://lothianbuses.com/ do a day ticket £3.50 hop on and off lrt buses all day compares with £1.40 for a single journey no change given so have the right money

don't know as much about Glasgow but can certainly recommend Drum & Monkey enjoy your trip
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by Harrynkingston View Post
    I am staying at the Premier Inn Haymarket in Edinburgh
    The Premier Inn at Haymarket is a new build budget hotel and should be up to a decent, but basic, standard.

Haymarket is in Edinburgh's West End and you're only about 10 minutes walk from the end of Princes Street.

There's a few good pubs nearby.

The Haymarket Bar a smart chain pub (Nicholsons) with a large selection of real ales.

Thomson's Bar A trditional Scottish bar selling homemade pies plus a good selection of ale.

Berts Bar this used to be my local. Decent selection of beer and pub food.

Teuchters across the road from Berts. Has a decent restaurant underneath.

Mathers Bar a typical stand up traditional Scottish bar with a decent selection of ale.

There's a good Indian restaurant facing the Haymarket pub called Omars as well.

There's loads of good pubs in Edinburgh, several mentioned by Hondo, that are well worth a trip to.

Nothing's that far away in Edinburgh really as it's quite a compact city, nothing like the sprawling mass that is Toronto.

The ones I've suggested are within easy reach of your hotel.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Must remember to return to this thread in a couple of months for my own trip north of the border...
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

In Glasgow my preference is for the Merchant City area, expensive but there's a few decent pubs/bars and restaurants round there (Babbity Bowster and the Blackfriars especially for pubs, Cafe India for curry).

In Edinburgh the choice is between the Old Town ( The Bow Bar and the Halfway House are my favourites) or the New Town, (Guildford, Cafe Royal and Abbotsford are worth a visit) It's a fairly tourist oriented city with facilities and pricing to match but pretty much safe in the centre.

Perth is a small town which I've only passed through and St Andrews is a small university town I've never visited although Prince William studied there. Fort William is more or less one main street but I've never really fancied the pubs there. Catering is fairly normal for a small Scots town, Fish and Chips, a Chinese, an Indian and a couple of hotel restaurants all in or near the High St.

You also mentioned Inverness in your other post, there are a few good pubs, the Blackfriars and the Castle are the best but at different ends of the town. I would however whole heartedly recommend the Anderson at Fortrose on the Black Isle a few miles north of Inverness, maybe 30 mins by car, for accomodation, food and drink.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Fort William is more or less one main street but I've never really fancied the pubs there.
    It's few years since I was there, but the Grog & Gruel had a good selection of beers and good food too. In the same ownership a few miles away the Clachaig Inn in Glencoe is worth a visit for the scenery alone, but is also an excellent pub.

Enjoy!
    Come On You Hatters!

Spritzer Swallower

Thanks for the tips. I am just looking for spots that are a little different perhaps more fitted to the local area. I will look into your tips, and I thank you for them.