Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I dont think its a pub

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Please bear in mind that there are around five regular users of the site who take an interest in historical pub listings but sadly most of them don't participate on the forum.
    I'm also interested in historical pub listings, but my interest stops a long way short of a photo of whatever monstrous building now occupies the site. I remember Conrad having a bit of a laugh at my identification of the correct site of this demolished pub. I was pleased to see the pre-demolition photo that was posted on Pubs Galore, but the last thing on my mind was to dash out and take a photo of the patch of grass and the advertising board that now stands there.

Most of my friends and family already think I'm pretty crazy for taking photos of pubs, but taking a photo of a demolition site would be, if I can borrow ROBCamra's word, madness!
    Come On You Hatters!

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I'm also interested in historical pub listings, but my interest stops a long way short of a photo of whatever monstrous building now occupies the site. I remember Conrad having a bit of a laugh at my identification of the correct site of this demolished pub. I was pleased to see the pre-demolition photo that was posted on Pubs Galore, but the last thing on my mind was to dash out and take a photo of the patch of grass and the advertising board that now stands there.

Most of my friends and family already think I'm pretty crazy for taking photos of pubs, but taking a photo of a demolition site would be, if I can borrow ROBCamra's word, madness!
    Im leaning towards your and ROBCamras viewpoint as well. There have recently been a load of new pubs added near me which got me quite excited. Then four of them turned out to be in the same street and had clearly closed decades if not centuries ago. All that was posted were photos of the street.

It does irk me a bit but I try not to let it bother me. Perhaps all the closed pubs should be on a sister site, Pubs Before ??
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I to am interested in the history of local pubs but i only add pubs or photos of closed pubs if they are still recognisable as such . The Telford listing has a link to a very good historic pub site with a decent selection of old pub photos

The old pub sites of Oakengates would make a strange portfolio , a Vets , wasteground , hairdressers , paper shop , sweet shop , bank , ironmonger , estate agent/florist , electrical shop and a bridge , and thats just the main street
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    Then four of them turned out to be in the same street and had clearly closed decades if not centuries ago.
    Now perhaps that is a bit too much - I try and restrict myself to ones that have closed within the past few years or those that pop up on other listings sites - makes PuG the authority on what is and what isn't correct (which in turn should lead to more hits and more contributors). Eg type "wallingford arms reading" into Google. It's been closed for years and is now housing but still pops up on numerous sites as appearing to be open. Like http://www.carling.com/beerfinder/ve...ingford%20Arms

This Space For Hire

I like the pix. They very often remind us that that what we have now is not the promised improvement on what went before, certainly if it's some nasty boxy flats or yet another Tesco Express. But before and after pix do help: what went before may have been here

I see no problems with adding pictures of what is on a site after the pub has been demolished.

I’m thinking of adding the London Inn in Hallsands which was washed into the sea circa 1917. The demise of the village has a very interesting story behind it, but I think that a picture of the English Channel would be a bit much!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I try and restrict myself to ones that have closed within the past few years or those that pop up on other listings sites - makes PuG the authority on what is and what isn't correct (which in turn should lead to more hits and more contributors).
    Good point.

But does that mean we need a photo of the replacement building if the pub has been demolished?

Or if one has been submitted, what about restricting the photo to the back page and leaving the summary page with no photo if there's none of the pub before its demise? (Sounds like a lot of extra work for admin, so probable thumbs down to that one. )
    Come On You Hatters!