Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: derby

Default derby

"290 beers on sale (20 more than last year) in 68 pubs"
    http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Lo...ail/story.html
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

I'll stay on me own

I know Derby like the back of my hand and have been in almost every pub in the city.

To call this city the beer capital of the world is a travesty,the city keeps altering the way they say it is the beer capital,first it was the amount of beers then they decided to do it on beers to population because other cities had more beers than the proclaimed beer capital of the world.

And if you visit this city there is a lot of walking involved getting from one decent pub to another.

Example getting off at the train station Brunswick and Alexandra are decent pubs then it is a long walk to the next decent pub which is probably the Babbington then another walk to the Dolphin which was'nt mentioned but i do like this pub then the flowerpot,Five Lamps and back to the Old Silk Mill,you are then struggleing to find any more decent pubs in the city centre.

I think this city is trying to con people into visit it,when it is basically an old railway town which has got a great big chip on its shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    ...it is basically an old railway town which has got a great big chip on its shoulder.
    ...and not in any way a rival to Nottingham.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

I know Derby like the back of my hand and have been in almost every pub in the city.

To call this city the beer capital of the world is a travesty,the city keeps altering the way they say it is the beer capital,first it was the amount of beers then they decided to do it on beers to population because other cities had more beers than the proclaimed beer capital of the world.

And if you visit this city there is a lot of walking involved getting from one decent pub to another.

Example getting off at the train station Brunswick and Alexandra are decent pubs then it is a long walk to the next decent pub which is probably the Babbington then another walk to the Dolphin which was'nt mentioned but i do like this pub then the flowerpot,Five Lamps and back to the Old Silk Mill,you are then struggleing to find any more decent pubs in the city centre.

I think this city is trying to con people into visit it,when it is basically an old railway town which has got a great big chip on its shoulder.
    We could with a thread topic on this all on its own. I've been to Derby twice and it was OK. But not the best real ale place in the world, that sincerely is ridiculous. Sheffield, Leeds, and really London are better places for it. I'm going to spend an hour in Derby in two weeks, but I'm not looking forward to it anywhere near as much as I am the 30 minutes in Sheffield Tap.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Derby has too many pubs that are now brewpubs, and for anyone going for the first time, this can be great, but it means lack of variety in beer range these days. Brunswick and Alex are fine, but I would much rather have a crawl in Sheffield any time.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    .. I would much rather have a crawl in Sheffield any time.
    ...mmm. There's a thought.

Just been for a few halves with a couple of mates from Dunstable: Harlequin, Riverside, Gardeners, Fat Cat, Kelham Island and Shakespeare.

It almost seems a shame to leave each pub, except for the anticipation of the pleasures of the next. Beat that, Derby, if you can. I feel especially privileged to live in the real beer capital. (But I still like to visit the delights of other towns, Derby and Dunstable included.)
    Come On You Hatters!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Any current suggestions outside the established bastions anyone?
    My research didn't find a decent ale pub with dartboard, with notable exception of Brunswick.
    Bearing in mind the fest at Uttox next day I want to trim down from Brunswick, Alex, Falstaff (not sure if I ticked that yet), dropping Station - useless hours and unimpressed when I finally got in, Dolphin, Silk Mill, Exeter, (Babbington), Flowerpot
    I note Five Lamps, new to me, Furnace Inn looks a maybe, New Zealand - another Dancing Duck?, Rowditch poss?
    I'm there fri nt.

ps. Luckily I copy/pasted this after a time out warning - how many have fallen foul of that relatively short time-barrier?

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Any current suggestions outside the established bastions anyone?
    If you do go to the Five Lamps and I recommend you do, this place Horse & Groom is just around the corner.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post

ps. Luckily I copy/pasted this after a time out warning - how many have fallen foul of that relatively short time-barrier?
    I fall for that one quite often which is why some of my bigger posts look like they have been typed by a 2 year old.

Regarding the Rowditch,this is a good walk from the middle of Derby and it has very restricted opening hours

The Fallstaff is in the back streets of Normanton and a good walk from the middle of Derby,i know this area well and would'nt advise a stranger walking round this area when dark.

The New Zealand is another good walk up asbourne road then into the back streets.

I have always liked the Furnace and there are other pubs nearby if you do want to try some more Derby pubs.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Regarding the Rowditch,this is a good walk from the middle of Derby and it has very restricted opening hours
    Good tip Al; just phoned & they don't open til 19:00 Fri nt, but they do have a dartboard...