Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone for Carshalton ?

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Default Anyone for Carshalton ?

Having missed last year's tour of Leytonstone and the recent PuG trip to Norwich I noticed from the Leytonstone thread there was a suggestion that Carshalton would be a good venue for a crawl ,with a few people expressing interest .

I am often down in that neck of the woods visiting ancient rellies,so have a guarenteed bed for the night as long as I can give a bit of advanced notice.Any night midweek would suit me,I could also make a late afternoon start once gardening and shopping commitments have been completed.

I have little knowledge of the Carshalton pub scene but always happy to strike out somewhere new,

Any other takers ?

I might be up for that one, depending on dates of course. The Hope's the star of the show in my opinion, but there are several other worthy contenders.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Carshalton is a good place for a crawl - ten pubs, all serving real ale in easy walking distance of each other.
    As Rex says, the Hope is most certainly the star of the show, but the Sun and Racehorse also tend to have interesting guests, whilst Fuller's (Railway Tavern), Young's (Greyhound Hotel) and Sheps (Windsor Castle) are all represented.

The Hope hold regular beer festivals, which in my experience tend to be excellent - maybe it's worth trying to coincide our visit with one of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post

The Hope hold regular beer festivals, which in my experience tend to be excellent - maybe it's worth trying to coincide our visit with one of them?

That sounds promising ,any idea when the next one is ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    That sounds promising ,any idea when the next one is ?

http://hopecarshalton.co.uk/html/events_2012.html

I work at Chippenham these days so a jolly to the smoke is closer than before so I'd be up for it date permitting.

Quote Originally Posted by an_ecumenical_matter View Post
    http://hopecarshalton.co.uk/html/events_2012.html

I work at Chippenham these days so a jolly to the smoke is closer than before so I'd be up for it date permitting.
    Thanks for the link .Kicking around a few dates ,I couldn't make the Extreme Beer Fest in April but I would be able to get down for The Mild for May fest on the Friday ,May 25th .

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Thanks for the link .Kicking around a few dates ,I couldn't make the Extreme Beer Fest in April but I would be able to get down for The Mild for May fest on the Friday ,May 25th .
    That date has been crayoned in in the diary,the only snag is how many pints of mild can one drink before needing to phone the Samaritans................

Quote Originally Posted by an_ecumenical_matter View Post
    how many pints of mild can one drink before needing to phone the Samaritans................
    I am sure our correspondents from the West Midland can advise

I guess The Hope could be a good place to either start or end the tour of the area,so there will be other ale options besides MILD.

Does Friday 25th May suit any others ?

25 May is OK for me. As things stand at present I can be there (The Hope) any time.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Not trying to dampen thread enthusiasm, but just suggesting maybe having a second location in mind to support the day's imbibements.
    The Hope aside, Carshalton doesn't do much for me these days. On a b/h w-end the Windsor Castle, of old, may have had a 'fest, but less likely now it's draped in Sheps colours. The rest I could take or leave...

If on a travelcard, it's not far to, say, Croydon, where myself or Pubsignman could make suggestions if anyone needed to supplement Carshalton targets.

After consulting London Drinker online, WC does have a fest but 04-07May. "Carshalton Ale Trail" was 08-15Apr.
    So many pubs have festivals on the same weekends, bank holidays, Easter, St George's: I wish they'd spread 'em out a bit.
    Last edited by trainman; 11-04-2012 at 13:20.