Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Time Travel

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    opening up one of my angst ridden self exploring questions.
    Wow! How do you sleep Mm?

I was thinking along the lines of City at Newcastle in '68, winning 4-3 to take the title, witnessed, allegedly, by 26000 away fans.
    Would miss, as Oggywn pointed out before me, today's wonderful variety of beers, largely available or attainable, including the relatively recent explosion of deliciously hopped golden ales.

I see now, though, that my initial instincts were far too frivolous and that I need to apply myself more correctly to matters of history. Be careful what you wish for though; Victorian times have been mentioned but one might not like the look of things if ditched into the wrong end of some of their skirmishes. Anyone else read GMF's Flashman series? Most un-pc these days, but splendidly researched and jolly good japes. Maybe take them on again in written (vaguely chronological) order.

Real Ale Drinker

Very interesting reading thanks guys.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post

I love Time Team
    I have been involved in a few of their programmes regarding background documentation and have been to watch them make a programme. They made me laugh once when 'they' contacted one place i used to work, asking if the cathedral was still there
    MILD:

I'd just go back a week or so taking the recent newspapers with me. I would then pop out to buy a winning Euro numbers ticket before parking myself in William Hills to make the appropriate correct score bets and watch my winnings start to pile up.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    if y'all had the facility to travel through time, what moment or period in history (or your perception of the future) would you like to visit?
    When I was younger (around 12-13) I found out that my grandfather had lost his arm in WW1 and that he'd ninety operations to remove all the shrapnel from his body. However, he died before I had the maturity to ask him about it. On reading Sebastian Faulks' 'Birdsong' it really brought home the horrors he must have seen on a daily basis. I'd like to travel back and see what he actually went through.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    My favourite period is the 18th century, great clothes and drunkeness as far as the eye can see, lots of debauchery, red meat and life lived to the full
    I'm with you there 'ob'. Have you ever come across 'Squire Haggard's Journal' by Michael Green? It's a parody of a late C18 gentleman's diary. Quite easily one of the funniest things I've ever read. People are dying everywhere from such conditions as 'putrefaction of the tripes' and 'the windy spasms'!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I'd like to travel back and see what he actually went through.

I think I'd just want to hear his stories, some things I just don't want to see.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    I have been involved in a few of their programmes regarding background documentation and have been to watch them make a programme. They made me laugh once when 'they' contacted one place i used to work, asking if the cathedral was still there
    I was at one of their digs , strangely it was at a pub , the Kynersley Arms at Leighton near Ironbridge where they found an old iron workings and a waterwheel under the pub , the pub turned them into a visitors attraction , though the pub is now sadly closed
    Last edited by Oggwyn Trench; 13-02-2010 at 00:09. Reason: cant spell , blame the Lancaster Bomber
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Who needs a parody when the original records are so bizarre - i read a policeman's account from 1915, of his fishing out a drowned woman from a canal; he wrote in his report that she was bloated from being in the water for sometime, and that she was fully dressed, except for a hat!
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    I was at one of their digs , strangely it was at a pub , the Kynersley Arms at Leighton near Ironbridge where they found an old iron workings and a waterwheel under the pub , the pub turned them into a visitors attraction , though the pub is now sadly closed
    Yes, i remember the programme Oggy. They used us for some of the Staffordshire and the Coventry Cathedral digs. I have been involved in a number of TV things - the funniest was a programme about a haunting of a cottage in Derbyshire. They used a tithe map at Lichfield, spent all day there and cut it all out, except for a passing shot of indexes on the shelves - what a waste
    MILD:

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Yes, i remember the programme Oggy. They used us for some of the Staffordshire and the Coventry Cathedral digs. I have been involved in a number of TV things - the funniest was a programme about a haunting of a cottage in Derbyshire. They used a tithe map at Lichfield, spent all day there and cut it all out, except for a passing shot of indexes on the shelves - what a waste
    Thats Showbuisness !!!!!!
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !