Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Time Travel

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post

I think I'd just want to hear his stories, some things I just don't want to see.
    On one level you're absolutely right. For me, I think it's morbid fascination combined with a sense of duty. Moving swiftly on, maybe time to toast his health with an Old Pec nightcap.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

We had Carl Chinn in a while back about how New Invention got it's name (near Willenhall) for a Midlands Today programme and we were used in that Portillo train journeys programme a few weeks back
    MILD:

I am in that Carl Chinn piece, working in the History centre. My wife didn't think my shirt look ironed. Price of fame eh!

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

typical - i do the work and you get on the box DB, a bit like Dave and Conrad here
    MILD:

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    On one level you're absolutely right. For me, I think it's morbid fascination combined with a sense of duty. Moving swiftly on, maybe time to toast his health with an Old Pec nightcap.
    I was lucky my Grandad was in the RAF in Burma in WW2 and he was a great teller of stories , the wifes Grandad was in the Royal Marines he was attached to an American unit on D Day and would never talk about his experiences untill near his death and then it was only the odd glimpse about 100s of bodies floating on the water ....
    On a slightly different tack i used to know an ex German POW who stayed here after the war , he had the index and middle finger missing off each hand , he had served on the eastern front and his fingers had frozen onto the trigger of his machine gun firing at wave after wave of Russian attacks , i used to think it was bollox untill i read a book about it
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    We had Carl Chinn in a while back about how New Invention got it's name (near Willenhall) for a Midlands Today programme and we were used in that Portillo train journeys programme a few weeks back
    We got a New Invention in Shropshire , its Bishops Castle way

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    i used to think it was bollox untill i read a book about it
    The thing is Oggy, the vast majority of us are totally clueless about what major armed conflict is really like. I'm pleased how the Wootton Bassett tributes seem to have grown into a genuine national admiration and respect for those that serve. However part of me still suspects it's something fleeting and fashionable with elements of hysteria as per Princess Diana's funeral. If that were to be the case it would be truly appalling.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    typical - i do the work and you get on the box DB, a bit like Dave and Conrad here
    Looks dear boy, looks.

Would I wish to spend any extended time in the past ? No ,as O.B. put it life in the past was shite unless you were rich and that did not protect you from illness and medicines that rarely worked. There are a few personal things I would like to change if it was possible. The Future does not appear to be any better with a whole lot of global problems which seem to be insurmountable.I do not think it will be the meek who will inherit the Earth.
    What does that leave ? Me ,Roger and Trainman milking The Lotteries and bankrupting William Hills. I will settle for that. Enough to make the rest of my life comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    The thing is Oggy, the vast majority of us are totally clueless about what major armed conflict is really like. I'm pleased how the Wootton Bassett tributes seem to have grown into a genuine national admiration and respect for those that serve. However part of me still suspects it's something fleeting and fashionable with elements of hysteria as per Princess Diana's funeral. If that were to be the case it would be truly appalling.
    I think your right as soon as the media gets bored with the story it will be forgotten by most
    As an intresting aside to this more people lined the streets of London for the Duke of Wellingtons funeral in the 1800s than did for Dianas , and this in the days before mass media and a much lower population