Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time Travel

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Default Time Travel

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Spooky! That website's a time portal. Open it up and you travel back to 1999. Either that or nothing much has changed in 2999. By the way if anyone is interested in joining the PuG Time Travellers Club, the next meeting will be last Tuesday.
    Pinched a&h's comment from another thread in order to ask; if y'all had the facility to travel through time, what moment or period in history (or your perception of the future) would you like to visit? And, if you remained for an extended stay, what would you miss most about our current era?

For myself, I'll have to nip forward a few days to see what my choices were.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I must admit a fasination with the Iron Age and early Medevial periods , big kid really Hill Forts and Castles , then again i also like Steam Trains so maybe the 30s or for enginering Victorian era , then again for fashion and music the late 60s , but more realistically the early 80s so i could give my teenage self a bit of guidance leading to alot more money/sex
    From today the Laptop would be a big miss and the huge amount of real ales easilly available , the days of finding a pub selling draught Bass and thinking you`d found heaven are thankfully over
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Very good question, trainman.

Personally I would go for Victorian era because I simply love Victorian pubs. I would like to see what pub is like in Victorian times and I know it is far more rowdier than now but I would happily join in!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Ta trainman for opening up one of my angst ridden self exploring questions.

As regards life.....yep, I've made mistakes, so change those.

My interests include local history, and I'd love to revisit my local area in snapshots through time, even now digging in the garden and finding a shard of pottery makes me think of people and times gone. My job also reveals stuff from the past......I check out building work, once I dealt with an extension to a shop in Kingston upon Thames, the foundation dig revealed over 20 human skeletons, they were dated back to the 14th century. I love Time Team, and if I could do a job, no pressure etc, it would be along those lines.

As regards revisiting, Victorian London Yes, but I'd go further back in perhaps 30 year slots. I'd need a minder though.

Beyond that, primeval time. Scary but fascinating. I'd need a Star Trek style beam up "Scottie".

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    I'd need a Star Trek style beam up "Scottie".
    Interesting about that famous quote "Beat me up, Scotty" is never spoken in any Series or Films..

Finally it was first spoken in the Novel: The Ashes of Eden in 1995..

Sorry but being Star Trek boffin I can't help it!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Wink

Hopwas, so not only are you are Tammie fan but a Trekkie too?

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Hopwas, so not only are you are Tammie fan but a Trekkie too?
    Guilty as charged!

Ever since that Star Trek III film, I got hooked... so I can say I am Trekkie

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Pinched a&h's comment from another thread in order to ask; if y'all had the facility to travel through time, what moment or period in history (or your perception of the future) would you like to visit? And, if you remained for an extended stay, what would you miss most about our current era?
    Anytime is good IF you were rich and powerful, mostly the past was shite if you weren't (although if you were born into it you wouldn't mind 'cos you didn't know any better).

My favourite period is the 18th century, great clothes and drunkeness as far as the eye can see, lots of debauchery, red meat and life lived to the full, after the puritanism of the 16/17th century and before the Victorian primness of the mid to late 19th Century. A time when porter at 7% ABV was the drink of the day for 2d a gallon and it was 3d a tumble with a comely wench. A time when Government didn't interfere in the lives of free born Englishmen and tax was a passing inconvenience avoidable if you were rich enough.

What would I miss? drinkable water, cheap health care based on science not an imbalance of your "humours", liberty, equality (sort of) and democracy (sort of), food you can eat and get all the time, policing and an open, more impartial legal system, mass free education, a free(ish) press, life expectancy of more 40 years, need I say more?

Avoiding the obvious that I'd like to pop forward to next Saturday, get the lottery numbers and then pop back again, it would be Dickensian London for me...
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Precisely why the time machine will never exist, otherwise such future lucrative issues would have dealt with it. It would be good though if it got invented and perhaps governments didn't spot it for a while....