Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time Travel

Hybrid View

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Default Time Travel

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Spooky! That website's a time portal. Open it up and you travel back to 1999. Either that or nothing much has changed in 2999. By the way if anyone is interested in joining the PuG Time Travellers Club, the next meeting will be last Tuesday.
    Pinched a&h's comment from another thread in order to ask; if y'all had the facility to travel through time, what moment or period in history (or your perception of the future) would you like to visit? And, if you remained for an extended stay, what would you miss most about our current era?

For myself, I'll have to nip forward a few days to see what my choices were.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I must admit a fasination with the Iron Age and early Medevial periods , big kid really Hill Forts and Castles , then again i also like Steam Trains so maybe the 30s or for enginering Victorian era , then again for fashion and music the late 60s , but more realistically the early 80s so i could give my teenage self a bit of guidance leading to alot more money/sex
    From today the Laptop would be a big miss and the huge amount of real ales easilly available , the days of finding a pub selling draught Bass and thinking you`d found heaven are thankfully over
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Very good question, trainman.

Personally I would go for Victorian era because I simply love Victorian pubs. I would like to see what pub is like in Victorian times and I know it is far more rowdier than now but I would happily join in!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Ta trainman for opening up one of my angst ridden self exploring questions.

As regards life.....yep, I've made mistakes, so change those.

My interests include local history, and I'd love to revisit my local area in snapshots through time, even now digging in the garden and finding a shard of pottery makes me think of people and times gone. My job also reveals stuff from the past......I check out building work, once I dealt with an extension to a shop in Kingston upon Thames, the foundation dig revealed over 20 human skeletons, they were dated back to the 14th century. I love Time Team, and if I could do a job, no pressure etc, it would be along those lines.

As regards revisiting, Victorian London Yes, but I'd go further back in perhaps 30 year slots. I'd need a minder though.

Beyond that, primeval time. Scary but fascinating. I'd need a Star Trek style beam up "Scottie".

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    I'd need a Star Trek style beam up "Scottie".
    Interesting about that famous quote "Beat me up, Scotty" is never spoken in any Series or Films..

Finally it was first spoken in the Novel: The Ashes of Eden in 1995..

Sorry but being Star Trek boffin I can't help it!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Wink

Hopwas, so not only are you are Tammie fan but a Trekkie too?

Hopwas, so not only are you are Tammie fan but a Trekkie too?
    Guilty as charged!

Ever since that Star Trek III film, I got hooked... so I can say I am Trekkie

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

opening up one of my angst ridden self exploring questions.
    Wow! How do you sleep Mm?

I was thinking along the lines of City at Newcastle in '68, winning 4-3 to take the title, witnessed, allegedly, by 26000 away fans.
    Would miss, as Oggywn pointed out before me, today's wonderful variety of beers, largely available or attainable, including the relatively recent explosion of deliciously hopped golden ales.

I see now, though, that my initial instincts were far too frivolous and that I need to apply myself more correctly to matters of history. Be careful what you wish for though; Victorian times have been mentioned but one might not like the look of things if ditched into the wrong end of some of their skirmishes. Anyone else read GMF's Flashman series? Most un-pc these days, but splendidly researched and jolly good japes. Maybe take them on again in written (vaguely chronological) order.

Real Ale Drinker

Very interesting reading thanks guys.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I love Time Team
    I have been involved in a few of their programmes regarding background documentation and have been to watch them make a programme. They made me laugh once when 'they' contacted one place i used to work, asking if the cathedral was still there
    MILD: