Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you've overheard in a pub

Glass Half Empty

Exchange in a Sheps pub last night, which had four of their ales available-

Customer: 'What's the Whitstable Bay like?'
    Barman: 'It's Shepherd Neame so they all taste the same'

The barman went on to explain that he doesn't like Sheps beer: 'I don't drink it - I only look after it'

Perhaps unsurprisingly, they did all turn out to be pretty much the same.
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
    Exchange in a Sheps pub last night, which had four of their ales available-

Customer: 'What's the Whitstable Bay like?'
    Barman: 'It's Shepherd Neame so they all taste the same'

The barman went on to explain that he doesn't like Sheps beer: 'I don't drink it - I only look after it'

Perhaps unsurprisingly, they did all turn out to be pretty much the same.
    That's pretty much my experience with Sheps as well, perhaps with the exceptiln of Bishops Finger. Never really liked their beers.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    That's pretty much my experience with Sheps as well, perhaps with the exceptiln of Bishops Finger. Never really liked their beers.
    Living where I do, I have to like 'em!I don't care for Spitfire, and usually go for the seasonals, though Late Red was disappointing last time. On a good day, and well kept, Master Brew isn't a bad cooking bitter. I'm told that the beers produced on the pilot plant at Faversham are more "interesting", though they aren't readily available, at least in our local.That said, I don't run after their beer, especially out of county.Some of Sheps country pubs are epic, and I don't let my ambivalence to the beer put me of them.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Living where I do, I have to like 'em! That said, I don't run after their beer, especially out of county.Some of Sheps country pubs are epic, and I don't let my ambivalence to the beer put me of them.
    Sounds a bit like Gale's, aka Fuller's around here, not a lot of choice really [only a couple of miles from the old brewery, so most pubs are ex Gale's]

That said, most pints of HSB are still OK
    I drink to make others more interesting

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Three 60 something blokes here talking bollocks - literally. "Why is it that sometimes they're tight nd sometimes they hang right down" is just one of their comments and the only one i think i can submit to print. It's putting me off my beer a bit !
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

This one goes back a while in my local , Frank who more often than not goes for the strongest ale available comes in an hour or so late.Landlord- your a bit late tonight Frank, yes Frank replies ,I've just been staring out the cat,this scarily is very beliveable with Frank but just one example of what makes a pub a good place to be.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Another conversation,same pub another character(this pub is loaded with them).Tim, normally turns up reasonably smart if not a little eccentrically attired ,gets most of his stuff from the charity shop, overheard him telling someone he found some very smart shoes in said shop,only problem was they were golfing shoes and were furnished with studs/spikes,not sure which.Anyhow he went on to explain how he spent a couple of hours or more filing off the offending appendages until upon reaching the final one realized they simply unscrewed,unbelievable but a true story apart from Tim's name which I've changed to spare some blushes, waste of time really as any one from my local will recognize who it is immediately.
    -W.C.Fields

My local has a little group who are big on conspiracy theories . Anything from little green men to how Wetherspoons are into mind control. No wonder I drink to forget.

Was in the Spread Eagle in Wandsworth a year or so ago with three mates, the round had just been deliverd to the bar,one mate takes a sip and discovers a rather sour pint,says to the young barmaid ,"excuse me this pints off",to which she replied,"no its not its only just gone on", luckily the manager was at hand and normal service was shortly resumed.
    -W.C.Fields

When I was living just off Philip Lane in Tottenham around 35 years ago I used to drink in some of the rough old boozers around there most now long gone. In one Tottenham Boozer a good few years ago I over heard this. Are you the Guy whos looking for a piece. ( yes thats me ) I think Ive got what you looking for if you want to come round back for a quick Butchers. A quick downing of Pint in one gulp and exit never to return.
    Last edited by Alesonly; 17-06-2012 at 09:36.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)