Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The London 2012 Olympics Thread

Just for the record I'm here for the duration..

And I have to say there is definitely an Olympic buzz building in the old Smoke...

I was up in town on Wednesday evening for some mild sporting activity in Regents Park before encamping to a local hostelry to undo all the good work and you could definitely feel it..

Specifically for us as our inbound train was taken over at Ally Pally by a large Dutch Women's Olympic contingent before disembarking at Highbury & Islington for the connection to Stratford. And I'm not sure what events they were here for but the majority were sufficiently scary for me not to venture to ask if they were here for 'a smoke and a pancake'.
    And then to see 10,000 people loudly cheering Bo-Jo at Hyde Park last night proves there's something strange in the water.....
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AyzDSY0CYAAz16F.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	735
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I posted this on our internal works blog site this morning. Could be looking for a new job soon!!

I've stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains,
    I've walked and I've crawled on six crooked highways,
    I've stepped in the middle of seven sad forests,
    I've been out in front of a dozen dead oceans,
    I've been ten thousand miles in the mouth of a graveyard,
    (Bob Dylan)

But I finally reached the office. Welcome to London and the 2012 Olympics.

If we believe all the hype, this is going to be some sort of Armageddon event for London’s transport system, but will it? Aren’t we used to a sudden influx of overseas visitors each year, have we never had to wade through a phalanx of Japanese tourists taking photos of the West Cornwall Pasty Co., isn’t it as common as Kerry Katona to be held up by people trying to get through tube barriers with a Nectar card, and who here has never encountered a soap dodging student with a backpack, an Ordnance Survey map of Wensleydale & Wharfdale and a annoyingly yappy dog, who is looking for “Bob’s place in London”.

So what are we worried about? Sure it’ll be busy but that’s all part of the sport of being a commuter in the City during tourist season (actually if there’re going to call it tourist season surely we should be allowed to shoot them). It may of course turn out to be true and London could end up being an amalgam of Mumbai in the rush hour and the ticket queue for the Madonna 2039 World Tour.

But fear not, our own organisation has responded to this threat by determining that we can work from home during the Olympics if we need to, thereby ensuring that entire offices will be devoid of the male of the species when the Women’s beach volleyball is on (the final is on 8th August in case you need to make arrangements).

Personally I don’t really agree with this watching the Olympics, sorry I meant working from home, thing. When people tell me that they can get so much more work done at home I think, yeah, mowing the lawn, taking the kids to school, waiting in for that parcel, catching up on the Jeremy Kyle Show*, getting a haircut, doing some shopping etc. etc.

As a matter of principle I shall be making my way into the office each day and if I am a little late because I’ve had to run an assault course of multi-coloured four wheel drive suitcases and annoyingly yappy dogs then it’s no problem, there’ll be no-one here to notice. They’ll all be at home, wondering which part of the garden gets the most sun and also allows them to see the TV and keep an eye on that little flashing light on their Blackberry.

Welcome to London and the 2012 Olympics.

* If the Jeremy Kyle Show is still on, that alone should be reason enough to come into the office.
    Last edited by Millay; 27-07-2012 at 10:29.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

I'll stay on me own

Having read all the negative Olympics posts on this thread, i am going to say my piece.

The Olympics only happens once every four years and i have never seen this in our country and i am now 50 and i will more than likely never see it again in our country,so why all the negative thoughts about this once in a lifetime event,i wont be seeing any events there but i will be watching what i can on BBC and cheering on the Great Britain team.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Fully agree Alan, a major sporting spectacle that I always enjoy, more so that it is taking place here. The cycling today and tomorrow went through my area, although it caused some disruption I'm still proud that it did.

I also find that it is an occasion when you may suddenly watch and learn to understand how different sports work, when else would you watch archery, shooting, or that winter, curling? Yet it becomes strangely compelling. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Fully agree Alan, a major sporting spectacle that I always enjoy, more so that it is taking place here. The cycling today and tomorrow went through my area, although it caused some disruption I'm still proud that it did.

I also find that it is an occasion when you may suddenly watch and learn to understand how different sports work, when else would you watch archery, shooting, or that winter, curling? Yet it becomes strangely compelling. I love it.
    We are by no means sport lovers,(with the exception of cricket in my case),but we did watch the cycling today,mainly because my sister in law and her friends secured an Olympic Table at this pub, and our son joined them.Naturally we didn't see them on t'telly, but it was uncanny seeing the area full of bikes and people. Good pub, incidentally.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Yet it becomes strangely compelling. I love it.
    Personally having had the whole thing rammed down my throat by the BBC for the last seven or more years it becomes strangely boring, irrelevant and a total waste of time. I hate it.

Any one looking for an alternative to this rubbish (other than the pub) tomorrow night, Absolute Radio has Ronnie Wood with Paul McCartney. I'll certainly be tuning in!!

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Currently drinking Welbeck Abbey Cavendish. Don't think it's an Olympic beer but if it is i suspect they wish they hadn't bothered. Good beer though.

I see Daley and Waterfield missed out on a medal . I guess that's what happens when you pair a 31 yr old bald bloke with a paperboy and expect people to believe they are synchronised .
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Well done to the gymnasts for their bronze in the men's team event... Unbelievable drama!!!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Well done to the gymnasts for their bronze in the men's team event... Unbelievable drama!!!

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...... ..............................