Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Iconic pubs...

Default Iconic pubs...

Near me are three landmark pubs - The Beggars Bush, which is definitely a landmark of a building, very imposing and like a castle in appearance. But the beer and interior is very average. The Scott Arms, which is a 50s/60s monstrosity with again an average interior and beer. And finally, the Bartons Arms which is amazing internally, externally and beerwise.

These are pubs you would base directions around and are instantly recognisable.

What iconic landmark pubs are out there which deserve their iconic status, and which are iconic landmarks but in reality are disappointingly bland?

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

The Cock Hotel in Wellington(Telford) is a well known landmark round here on the main crossroads in town , its tatty looking on the outside but was West Mid CAMRA pub of the year last year (though locals are up in arms at the recent price increases )
    The Heathgates on the main road into Shrewsbury from the north is an intresting looking pub outside but a bland barn in , Dont get me started on Shrewsburys best looking pub , The Kings Head , looks fantastic then you walk inside ......

For anyone who has lived/travelled in the West Midlands the biggest landmark pub has to be the now demolished Stew Pony
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    For anyone who has lived/travelled in the West Midlands the biggest landmark pub has to be the now demolished Stew Pony
    I don't know the Stew Pony. Where was it?

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

A very obvious one round here is the Coach & Horses at Hilsea in Portsmouth. First pub you see when arriving on Portsea Island via A3, London Road [not motorway], and last as you leave. Rebuilt around 1930, supposedly using apprentice brickies, the brickwork is great, with a turret. It is slap bang on junction, which is in reality a large roundabout. Now a Harvester or similar

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61908/

Another was the Air Balloon, Mile End, Portsmouth, now sadly closed whilst it's fate is decided [listed building], imposing black & white timbered building, very similar to White Swan in Landport, Portsmouth.

It was the first one seen when arriving via Channel ferry, now view is blocked off by M275, and pub is dwarfed by ugly office blocks & flats. Another success for the council & corporate vandals IMO
    Last edited by Farway; 21-07-2010 at 14:43.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by General Staal View Post
    I don't know the Stew Pony. Where was it?
    It was on the Wolverhampton , Kidderminster (A449) road at the crossroads where you turn for Bridgnorth or Stourbridge (A458) it was a huge pub , they demolished it and built an housing estate on the site
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

The ultimate is probably the Elephant & Castle with a whole area of London named after it, I believe it's not a very nice pub.

In Yorkshire on the A19 we have Tontine which is a junction named after the pub (The Cleveland Tontine) sat in the V of two old roads, we also have Black Swan Crossroads, although the pub shut when the crossroads was turned into GSJ (Gradient Separated Junction). half the bus stops round here are called after the nearest pub including demolished pubs. There are lots of "landmark" pubs but I'm not sure I would call them "iconic", truely iconic pubs for me would be places like the Olde Trip to Jeruslem, or the Philharmonic.

Talking about Air Balloons the one at Birdlip is incredibly famous and a well known landmark.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    It was on the Wolverhampton , Kidderminster (A449) road at the crossroads where you turn for Bridgnorth or Stourbridge (A458) it was a huge pub , they demolished it and built an housing estate on the site
    I would have driven past it on the way from Birmingham to Kinver via Halesowen then?

Quote Originally Posted by General Staal View Post
    I would have driven past it on the way from Birmingham to Kinver via Halesowen then?
    It has been quite an accident blackspot in the past. Busy road.
    Waes hael!

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    The ultimate is probably the Elephant & Castle with a whole area of London named after it, I believe it's not a very nice pub.
    I've never been inside, but I am always quite impressed that the Craven Arms in South Shropshire not only has its town named after it but also a railway station (as does the famous Berney Arms in Norfolk).
    Last edited by rpadam; 21-07-2010 at 21:07.

You have mentioned big landmark pubs - Jamaica Inn in Cornwall would be another

I suppose some pubs are iconic for the wrong reasons - the Blind Beggar in Whitechapel, The Mulberry Bush and the Tavern in the Town (Yard of Ale) in Birmingham

Others because of their unique features - The Philharmonic in Liverpool (a throw back to my student days) is iconic for its ornate toilets, the Crooked House in Dudley because it's so wonky
    Waes hael!