Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a lager shortage?

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

From what you are saying, it sounds as though JDW has a backhanded way of driving lager drinkers onto real ale by making it cost twice as much.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    From what you are saying, it sounds as though JDW has a backhanded way of driving lager drinkers onto real ale by making it cost twice as much.
    I've always liked Tim Martin
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    I've always liked Tim Martin
    sadly I think the truth is more prosaic, JDW prices often depend on the level of discount that can be got out of a brewer plus the lager market is probably more flatly priced than the cask market. After all cask drinkers are used to paying premium prices for a high quality product and JDW pricing can be a bonus if the quality is good, which to be fair is often the case in JDW, but we can usually go elsewhere for better quality and better surroundings. The lager drinker is conditioned (no pun intended) to premium pricing for a mediocre product and the "product" can be treated as a "commodity" with a price structure to match, sure some people will exhibit brand loyalty and normally only drink X or Y but if it's not there they are usually content to drink Z. Our recent price survey found mainstream lager brands to be 10-20p a pint higher than equivalent strength cask ales and with little difference in price between brands. To some extent location played more of a role in pricing than anything else.

I suspect there is very little cross-over between mainstream lager brand drinkers and micro brewery cask ale drinkers in spite of comments about "portfolio drinkers". I wont comment on the tiny niche market of "craft beer" drinkers who seem happy to pay £10 a pint for a cold fizzy drink.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I wont comment on the tiny niche market of "craft beer" drinkers who seem happy to pay £10 a pint for a cold fizzy drink.
    Oh go on!

I spoke too soon, just found one with the coffee porter which is ideal for this early hour. They also have the APA and i agree its very nice
    I was In the Spoons at southgate last night there was still at least Five fest Ales on Plus three ciders. Seems loads around in other local Spoons as well.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

So thats why Heineken has gone up then. Endorsed by Bond, James Bond
    I can understand Daniel Craig being quite miffed, as he's on record as saying he finds it hard to cut down on his beloved Guinness, when he's in training for the role.

Meanwhile, in a parallel universe far, far away...

He was late. Spotting Leiter at the bar, he eased his way through the crowd, using a mixture of brute strength and cat like grace. Briefly catching the eye of an Italian contessa, she shivered inwardly at the potent combination of sexual magnetism and barely hidden danger.

" Well James, What can I get you?"

" I'll have a pint of Clutterbucks Old Horizontal and tell the barmaid to leave the sparkler on...."

(cont p94)
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.