Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Camra Local Pub Of The Year Winners- 2012

I'll stay on me own

I have done 40 on that list.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I reckon about fifteen but some not for a very long time
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Only 7 for me that I can remember. Even missed the ones in my present and previous branch areas.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Definitely 8, possibly 9 (mists of time and all that). PuG pub crawls scored me pubs in Birmingham & Liverpool, but not Norwich.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

I've been to 18 of them, all of which are pubs I would happily return to. Seems like a good list to me - more ideas to add to the 'to do' column.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    It means local as in 'local to within their branch' eg the branch pub of the year; not whether the pub is full of locals!
    Well I've obviously missed the point of the community pubs campaign then. I thought it was about supporting struggling local pubs in areas where people live, not goldmine city centre pubs in tourist areas miles from where most people can afford to live.

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

I've counted 12 and looking forward to doing a few more...

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    I thought it was about supporting struggling local pubs in areas where people live, not goldmine city centre pubs in tourist areas miles from where most people can afford to live.
    I agree that there is some conflict here between what are considered to be the best pubs for ale drinkers, and the laudable objective of preserving and enhancing the (local) pub's role in (local) communities. I think the confusion is understandable, given the use of the word "local" in two different senses in the heading to the list:

"CAMRA has released in full the winners of its local pubs of the year to showcase the diversity and innovation of Britain’s locals at the start of its new campaign - Community Pubs Month."

Perhaps this is something that we are also slightly confused about as reviewers on Pubs Galore. We (and I'm guilty of this myself) go to some absolute gems of pubs up and down the country, saying why (or in some instances why not) others should visit them, but as casual visitors we have no idea what they are like for those who live there and visit them on a regular basis. We very seldom, if ever, see reviews from (perhaps "one drop") reviewers, saying "this is my local - it's great". (When we do, we tend to dismiss them as being put up to it by the publican.)

PS I've been to 17 of them!
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 03-04-2012 at 00:09. Reason: Added PS
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Just 7 for definite, but probably an extra 3 or 4 from before the time I started making a mental note of these things!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Perhaps this is something that we are also slightly confused about as reviewers on Pubs Galore. We (and I'm guilty of this myself) go to some absolute gems of pubs up and down the country, saying why (or in some instances why not) others should visit them, but as casual visitors we have no idea what they are like for those who live there and visit them on a regular basis. We very seldom, if ever, see reviews from (perhaps "one drop") reviewers, saying "this is my local - it's great". (When we do, we tend to dismiss them as being put up to it by the publican.)
    Completely agree, and I'm very conscious sometimes of visiting a pub which I think is truly awful, has no ale and entirely exclusive - but then I realise it's the only pub in walking distance for some people, and it is, after all their local. I try to reflect this in the reviews - if I write that it should be left to the locals I am implying simply that - there is little for the casual visitor to enjoy, and they would probably not receive a warm welcome.

You do find the odd gem though, and I also try to reflect this. You get some nice surprises such as The Concorde in Rainham and the East Cliff Tavern in Folkestone, very much local pubs but worth going off the beaten track to find for their beer quality alone. Not just GBG pubs - The Joiners Arms and Kings Head in Stafford, for example, both of which appeared to be on CAMRA's naughty list but actually (when I last visited) provide some of the best beer in town, even if they are quite insular.