Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Residents in protest against new JDW opening

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    JDW have been trying to open up in Newport , Shropshire for years , the council are opposed to it as there are already 11 pubs on the main street (or just off) in a smallish town .
    Strangely there is only 1 in Telford which is pretty big these days (pop about 120000) , Wellington could do with 1 to raise the standard of the dire pubs and kill off the really bad ones
    Change the Beacon in Wellington into a JDW should do the trick. It's already the right sort of shape etc.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 12-02-2010 at 14:54.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    http://www.telford.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyr...ctober2008.pdf

Take a quick look Hoppy I think they are going at it hammer and tongs in the Telford area
    They do go at it hammer and tongs in Telford there's nothing else to do.

Frankie Boyle said that the opening ceremony of the Olympics always reminds him of Glasgow.

Everybody is wearing a tracksuit and there's lots of explosions. It reminds me of Telford.

AND the JDW is only a small one.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Although not my first choice of drinking places I still wish they'd open one in my town, we have one excellent pub, two good ones and a choice of poor John Smiths/Theakstons in most of the rest, three pubs are keg only. Rumours persist that JDW will take over an old furniture shop here but there's no sign of it happening. My nearest JDW is 12 miles and a £6, half hour bus ride away. The next one is 15 miles and an infrequent 45 min bus ride away; where it's the second best pub in town although there's not much competition. However the other piss poor pubs are still trading so its not always true that pubs, however bad, will shut once Tim rides into town.
    Last edited by oldboots; 12-02-2010 at 09:34. Reason: forget one sh*t hole was keg only

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Although not my first choice of drinking places I still wish they'd open one in my town,
    Agreed, I thought that the closed-down Woolies may offer good potential in West Norwood, but it went to Sainsburys Local, right opposite Tesco Express & Somerfield, none of which stock much of a range between 'em.
    I thought that jdw may have moved on a number of Woolworth sites but perhaps it's trickier to get permission for high-street pubs, esp these days when gaggles of smokers can present an offputting, if not menacing, air to the public.

Something has just struck me ( must get the roof fixed). What is it that turns relatively harmless blokes enjoying a pint and a fag INSIDE a pub into a menacing gang of nicotine addicts you have second thoughts on requesting access to the pub when outside ?
    I think all of us here have commented on feeling wary of these groups. Yet whether on my own or in company I have never had any problem with these people, in fact many of them have been very helpfull when the mrs was in the wheelchair by opening doors.
    Why do we have this feeling of antipathy towards them? Has the Anti Smoking Campaign be that successful that we now associate smokers with being anti social neer do wells. Puzzling.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

For me it is purely down to the width of the pavement or entryway.

It is frustrating when they clog up the pavement outside pubs and you are expected to walk in the road to make way for all those smoking (a new form of danger from passive smoking ), and a similar logic when trying to go into the pub, if they are sat around tables outside then it is far less offensive than having to part the sea of smokers.

Sadly I guess that most of that is beyond the pubs control in a lot of cases. Ed made a post on his blog about smoking recently.

The JDWs in Bicester is situated in a wide pedestrianized thoroughfare with a smoking area out back. They did put out a few tables but the local council stopped them. The area out back is more an extension of the bar/ eating area as a result the smokers congregate out front. So much for the cafe society. Meanwhile up the road at Yates ,which has no rear smoking area,the council permit an area of pavement to be cordoned off during the day for smoking but the area is also a pleasant place to drink on a hot day complete with tables and chairs. I see a lot of this about. Locally a pub now shut has no smoking area. It looks out onto the town square which has no drinking policy signs all over it. Used to be great to sit outside on a summers day

Sadly it is common sight in Tamworth.. we have Yates, B79, Boot Inn, at least 5 cafes, Snooker Club and even one cafe on Market Square...

On Positive side.. Our JDWs don't allow put table and chairs outside their front for smokers. Silk Kite's "garden" is one of smallest JDW can offer.. about same size as average hallway!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    They do go at it hammer and tongs in Telford there's nothing else to do.

Frankie Boyle said that the opening ceremony of the Olympics always reminds him of Glasgow.

Everybody is wearing a tracksuit and there's lots of explosions. It reminds me of Telford.

AND the JDW is only a small one.
    To build your own Telford , take 3 thriving market town and in the middle build a huge out of town shopping complex and call it the Town Centre , bulldoze all the surrounding countryside and build lots of pigeon box houses any spare land can be used for industrial estates , fill the houses with people rejected from the Black Country , Potteries etc .
    After a few years start to wonder why your nice shiny town centre is surrounded by slums and the 3 market towns are ghost towns whose residents hate you for what you have done

You may gather i`ve got a bit of a chip on me shoulder about this
    If you look up Telford on chavtowns i think they go easy on it
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    120,000?! surley thats total population for WHOLE Telford including surrounding areas. Not Telford City itself?

Anyway.. seriously there is 11 pubs on Main St in Newport alone? I know Newport is small town but 11 pubs...

Lichfield, Staffs has population of only around 27,000 but already got 2 JDWs plus 4 superb real ale houses and all are walkable each other..

In my hometown, We got 2 JDWs including one recently opened.. only problem is both JDWs are few mins walk each other!
    In Newport from the top of the street
    Railway
    Shakespere
    Pheasant
    Barley Mow
    Ozzys
    Royal Victoria
    Swan
    Bridge
    Kings Head
    And just off the main drag
    New Inn
    Honeysuckle
    take you about 5 mins to walk one end to other
    Last edited by Oggwyn Trench; 12-02-2010 at 13:01. Reason: bad grammar
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !