Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pub music appreciation thread

Default Pub music appreciation thread

Many pubs have some sort of music on these days, and it's something to which many reviewers refer but about which they seldom express strong feelings. Having seen Steve C's excellent review of The Drove and his insightful reaction to the lovely Dido Armstrong's dulcet warbling, I wondered whether anyone else had any thoughts to offer on the subject.

Music can play a crucial part in the "terroir" (getting a bit oz clarke) of a pub. I always mention if a pub is advertising live music and any relevant information about the juke box e.g. some specialize in heavy metal music. Ultimately we all have different tastes in music and different tastes in alcohol.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Music can play a crucial part in the "terroir" (getting a bit oz clarke) of a pub. I always mention if a pub is advertising live music and any relevant information about the juke box e.g. some specialize in heavy metal music. Ultimately we all have different tastes in music and different tastes in alcohol.
    I tend not to mention if live music, mainly as I have no interest in it. Same with juke box, unless it is deafening me. I sometimes mention lack of as to me that is a plus point, as is the absence of Sky sports, pool table and fruit machines

As Hondo rightly says "Ultimately we all have different tastes in music and different tastes in alcohol"

Miserable old git slinks off to corner of bar
    I drink to make others more interesting

This Space For Hire

I am very happy to be in a pub with with live music, so long as I have chosen to be there, ie I like the pub/beer and the music, in fact have probably made a special trip (so it is helpful to be mentioned in reviews). I am less keen when I am 'obliged' to be at a pub (ie no alternative to get a drink) and it is infested by something I don't like, or I can't get to the bar because it is so full. All a question of having some choice really. Recorded music less clear - I have known a few pubs with great music that added to the atmosphere, but many more that insist on drowning out any attempt at conversation with stupidly high volume, whatever they are playing.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

The absence of music is definitely a plus point in my book, although I don't really object to music at background levels when the pub isn't too busy. But what really annoys me is when "music" is continued to be foisted on us when the pub is busy, thus the conversation levels are high, and all you can hear is the bass thump of some unrecognisable "song" that only has the effect of making people shout at each other to make themselves heard. Almost as bad is when you have competing noise - typically music being played as well as the sound of a TV on; I'm sure we've all experienced that!

Marches off to the corner of the bar to have a quiet pint with Farway!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

None of my regular drinking haunts have music exept the Crown which has live music on a Thursday which is normally Singer/Songwriter/Bluesy stuff so not to loud , i dont mind loud live bands as long as there advertised so you can avoid if you want to .
    Nothing worse than having to comunicate with a barmaid in a virtually empty pub by sign language because the bloody jukebox is on full blast
    Think i prefer it so you can hear the conversation and banter.
    Corner of the bar getting a bit crowded
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

I don’t do live music as I find it too loud and I hate being cramped by crowds. I like a bit of background music if it is upbeat and I enjoy the likes of the Jam, Stones etc. I cannot stand R&B or euro pop. I like it when there is no music and some banter is going on at the bar, but I hate silence. Especially if there is an air conditioning unit buzzing in the background.
    I prefer watching football or England playing cricket/rugby in something important on the box, but I don’t like it when TVs are left on for the sake of it.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

If a pub advertises live music or karaoke it's usually a good reason for me to avoid the place. I like to go to the pub to drink and chat and live music is usually so loud you have to shout to be heard.

Background music is OK though.

Karaoke is often painful to listen to, whatever the volume.
    Waes hael!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    If a pub advertises live music or karaoke it's usually a good reason for me to avoid the place. I like to go to the pub to drink and chat and live music is usually so loud you have to shout to be heard.

Background music is OK though.

Karaoke is often painful to listen to, whatever the volume.
    Oh dear you’ve mentioned the ‘K’ word. I’m not sure what is worse, the song butchery by the tone deaf drunks or the rotation throughout the night by the same three singers that think they are great. I was at a pub in Eastbourne one Sunday afternoon and the karaoke started and a punter took his own cd up for the okeman to play so that he could sing to it.

Everyone to their own I suppose, by I tend to steer well clear.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I normally object to background music, and have said so often in my reviews. If you like music, play it. If you feel embarassed by silence, start a conversation. Or turn on the air conditioning.

Some pubs manage to make the music part of the foreground without making conversation into a shouting match. This seems to depend partly on the number of people present, but also on things like the furnishings, wall-coverings, carpets and curtains.

See my latest review of a pub where the music literally sent me running for the exit.
    Come On You Hatters!