Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon Festival March 2012 thread

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Pre match beers in The George,Croydon and after using a knife and fork to get through another Titanic Nine Tenths Below,the Lymestone Foundation Stone was a good wash through pint ,while I thought the Kelham Island Wild Rider IPA was an excellent ale,floral nose,subtle bitterness and no real hint that you were drinking a 5.5% er.All beers were on top form,The George is a shining beacon in the 'spoons empire.

The Wild Rider is BOTW so far,and the rest of the week looks promising for more consumption

Had a few more last night in The Six Templars,Hertford which is not renowned for great ale quality and that may account for the" average" pints.

Hydes Owd Oak . A MILD but not very distinguished,a little thin.
    Brains Clock Tower . A session bitter but one was enough.
    Wychwood King Goblin .Strong but not very subtle ,malty but not complex.
    GK Libertine.A decent attempt at a hoppy pale beer,a style that I dont normally associate with GK.Pint of the evening but that's not saying a huge amount.

So that makes it 10 out of the 50 sampled so far.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Had the 39 the Belgian pale ale which was quite nice. Now got a pint of the O'Hanlons Flagship IPA. It's not what i would expect of an IPA even a 4.2% one.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Had a very enjoyable Acorn Old Moor Porter in The George ,one of the best porters I've had in a long time.Close to BOTW.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Had a very enjoyable Acorn Old Moor Porter in The George ,one of the best porters I've had in a long time.
    Totally agree. Lovely stuff. Have you come across Acorn's Gorlovka Stout (6%) yet? Rich, complex and very drinkable. Well worth looking out for.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Totally agree. Lovely stuff. Have you come across Acorn's Gorlovka Stout (6%) yet? Rich, complex and very drinkable. Well worth looking out for.
    That's on a very long list of ales that I really must try,hopefully while up in Yorkshire on the boat.If this drought in the east midlands continues ,I may be stuck up north quite a bit this year

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Managed another four, yesterday afternoon:

Lancaster Pearl - Good bitterness, but I thought it lacked aroma and was a bit thin. A decent enough session beer.

Cairngorm Red Mountain - Rather disappointing. From the programme notes, I was expecting something in BrewDog '5am Saint', or Magic Rock 'Rapture' territory, but it seemed a pretty average red ale. May have suffered by being drunk after Moorhouses APA.

Arundel New Horizons - Smooth and easy drinking, but didn't do a lot for me.

Moorhouses APA - Easily the best of the festival ales I tried this year. Fantastic aromas and bitterness from the 'C' hops. Slid down like mothers milk. My BOTW. (The local 'spoons manager said it had been the most popular beer of the festival.)
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

At the end of the Official Festival period I have clocked up 31, way down on the last festival and, to be honest, not a lot really stood out for me. What did please me was that I did them all in 11 different Wetherspoons of which 7 were brand new to me! I dare say we will be seeing the beers available for the next couple of weeks so still plenty of time to tick a few more off.

Just caught the Saltaire Cream Stout - really good, though I think it was heading towards the barrel bottom.

This Space For Hire

Conwy - Lemon Ale was really good, brewed using Slovenian Bobek hops