Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pub Of The Month - March 2012

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    The Sparrow in Bradford is a definite contender.

Not a pub, but a beer cafe, like the Northern Quarter bars in Manchester that we spend so much time in.
    Good choice! I think they could do with getting their seating arrangement sorted as it soon gets busy and there's nowhere to stand. A few ledges here and there wouldn't go amiss.

I've enjoyed a few places this month. The Sportsman in Huddersfield, Pivni in York (prior to the York vs Southport game - friendly football fans in a pub can really boost the atmosphere plus anywhere that serves cake with beer is on to a winner), the continually improving Fox and Newt brewpub in Leeds, Fernandes in Wakefield.

However now the outside drinking season is upon us I will have to nominate Midnight Bell in Leeds. Leeds Pale has turned a corner recently going from something exceptionally bland to much more hoppy, and I'm informed the Midnight Bell stout and 2nd stout they had on (forget the name) were both on form. Good food at reasonable prices and a nice grassy knoll to lounge around on in the sun!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

I'm almost embarrassed to say that I've only visited one new pub this month, however it was a goody. Really enjoyed The Philharmonic in Liverpool. Tried two cracking beers, served by a friendly barmaid and fell in love with the interior.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    Leeds Pale has turned a corner recently going from something exceptionally bland to much more hoppy..
    Must admit I've not had a LP for a while now, be interested to see how it's changed.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

There were so many fine pubs on that Liverpool crawl,it is probably a case of nomination a first among equals.I didn't visit The Philly this time,but have been there in the dim and distant past.So my POTM will be The Lion Tavern for it's impressive interior so well described by Pubsignman.

However on my next visit to the city,I may well head to The Dispensary and the Fly in the Loaf on an occasion where ale quality has the highest priority.

Glass Half Empty

Main new ones for me this month were from a weekend in Rye. POTM has to be the Queen's Head in Icklesham, by quite a distance.
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

With 26 pubs visited in Liverpool and 17 more in Sheffield this month, this is the toughest POTM yet.

If I could only return to one of the pubs from those visited this month, I would probably pick the The Ship & Mitre - don't think I'd ever get bored of the place.

Honourable mentions to Dispensary, Gallaghers, Lion Tavern and Ye Cracke in Liverpool plus KIT, Fat Cat, Hallamshire House and the excellent New Barrack Tavern in Sheffield.

Phew!

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    With 26 pubs visited in Liverpool and 17 more in Sheffield this month, this is the toughest POTM yet.

If I could only return to one of the pubs from those visited this month, I would probably pick the The Ship & Mitre - don't think I'd ever get bored of the place.

Honourable mentions to Dispensary, Gallaghers, Lion Tavern and Ye Cracke in Liverpool plus KIT, Fat Cat, Hallamshire House and the excellent New Barrack Tavern in Sheffield.

Phew!
    Called in the Ship & Mitre yesterday and was served a pretty poor pint of Hornbeam Citrus Temptation from one of the newly refurished handpumps.

Called in the Lion Tavern twice yestereday, once in the afternoon and for the final one before heading back to the hotel.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Despite the fine attractions of The Sparrow in Bradford mentioned earlier in this thread it's not going to be my POTM.

It would have been in most months and was leading right up the point where I walked through the door of Ye Olde Vic in Stockport on the 30th.

Loved the place, for it's quirkiness and friendly locals and of course the excellent beer.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas