Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Huddersfield and environs

Default Huddersfield and environs

I'm being dragged up to Huddersfield by a couple of Charlton Athletic mates for the game on 24 March. They are going up Saturday returning first thing on Sunday but I am going up on the Friday afternoon and returning home on the Monday midday. Since I will have plenty of time on my own on the spare days, I am looking for any recommendations within an easy train ride of Huddersfield that will yield a few good pubs. I will probably do a few in Leeds and maybe a return visit to Dewsbury. I have done Wakefield a couple of times so probably nothing new for me there. Any other places worth looking at locally?

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I'm being dragged up to Huddersfield by a couple of Charlton Athletic mates for the game on 24 March. They are going up Saturday returning first thing on Sunday but I am going up on the Friday afternoon and returning home on the Monday midday. Since I will have plenty of time on my own on the spare days, I am looking for any recommendations within an easy train ride of Huddersfield that will yield a few good pubs. I will probably do a few in Leeds and maybe a return visit to Dewsbury. I have done Wakefield a couple of times so probably nothing new for me there. Any other places worth looking at locally?
    Huddersfield is a bit of a beer mecca in itself. Nine GBG 2012 pubs alone.

Halifax has a decent beer triangle Three Pigeons, Pump Room & Dirty Dicks. Plus a couple of jokers in Barum Top & The Shay.

Sowerby Bridge has another set of good pubs Jubilee Refreshment Rooms, Long Chimney, Works, Firehouse, Puzzle Hall, Shepherds Rest.

Hebden Bridge has Moyles, Fox & Goose, Stubbing Wharf, White Swan, Hole In The Wall, Shoulder Of Mutton.

Todmorden has Polished Knob, Bare Arts, Queen Hotel, White Hart, Jacks House.

All are within a short distance of Huddersfield by train.

The Calder Valley is an excellent place to go train/pub crawling.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 24-02-2012 at 13:48.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I will be all day in Huddersfield Saturday (before and after the game) and have some of Sunday and Monday morning to round up any leftovers. Am looking to kill Friday evening and Sunday afternoon/evening. Halifax and Sowerby Bridge look good shouts - don't know either of them at all. Hebden Bridge & Todmorden are just a bit too far given that there are decent options nearer.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I will be all day in Huddersfield Saturday (before and after the game) and have some of Sunday and Monday morning to round up any leftovers. Am looking to kill Friday evening and Sunday afternoon/evening. Halifax and Sowerby Bridge look good shouts - don't know either of them at all. Hebden Bridge & Todmorden are just a bit too far given that there are decent options nearer.
    If you do decide to go to Halifax on the Friday night check out The Sportsmans, they often have a gig on Friday. A very loud gig usually.

It's free entrance and they serve a decent pint of Tetleys on handpump, but nothing else except fizz.

If you decide to go to Sowerby, The Firehouse does a great pizza deal in the bar if you get peckish and The Puzzle Hall often has Sunday gigs.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Just been picking my way through Halifax pubs and knocked together 8 worth having a look at so I think Halifax is a cert.

Beware that a lot of Halifax pubs don't open 'regular' hours a lot of the time - the last three times I've wanted to do Halifax I've been thwarted by time constraints.

Huddersfield is a good little place to go pubbing and I'd recommend you set aside plenty of time to enjoy what's on offer. A big regret for me is that I only managed an hour so at the Grove last year. When you go there (not if!) make sure you mention PuG, they were very interested last time. I'd also advise going there off-peak as the staff are a chatty bunch and will happily interact with customers (I got a couple of free tasters when I was there, after working my charms )

Can't argue with your choice of Halifax and another one to add to Robs list is the Ring o' Bells which is not to far from the Pump Room. Again Sowerby is a good choice.

Perhaps another route to consider would be out to Marsden/Slaithwaite/Linfit taking in the Sair (well worth a visit but not sure if Ron has started brewing again), Riverhead Brewery Tap, Swan and one or two more. Not done this run for a couple of years so perhaps someone else may be better placed to advise and add to it should you decide on it.

Then again you could tag on Brighouse (Red Rooster) and Elland (Barge and Barrel, open again, the Drop) onto the Sowerby trip but the bus would probably be better then for this route, as it would be for Marsden etc come to think of it.

So many pubs, so little time. Enjoy.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

This Space For Hire

Beware if you do the transpennine "rail ale trail" any time on the Saturday it will be absolutely heaving at all the usual calling points. I'd recommend using Sunday for that, leaving Saturday for all the pubs in Huddy away from the station (due to those rail ale trailers) - the Grove, Sportsman, Rat and Ratchet would be main recommendations.

Leeds is only 18mins away from Huddy on the train, and York around 40mins. A return to York could let you visit York Tap (on station, about 20 handpumps) and Maltings (5 min walk), then a few around Leeds on the return. Personally I'd recommend Foley's, The Hop, North Bar, Duck and Drake and possibly the Grove. You don't say if you're travelling up on train but if you are, try to get a train that changes at York purely for York Tap. I think it's the most handpumps I've seen on a bar after one or two places in central London..