Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Anyone for (boring) brown bitter?

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Just drunk possibly the most perfect pint I've ever had the pleasure to drink, I am not a fan of brown beer in general but two pints of Darkstar Six Hop ale ,6.5%, was absolutely spot on tonight and in appearance brown ,albeit pale brown, but definitely heaven for me tonight, easily beer of the year for me already and I can't see anything to beat it at this point.
    Glad you enjoyed it,I made it my BOTW last week and can still taste the hops
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it,I made it my BOTW last week and can still taste the hops
    Just had some more and I am well hopped ,so to speak.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Bloody hell! I found another one, that's two in a week. Tried Wold Top Bitter on Saturday and thought it had a lovely old fashioned taste. Only 3.7%, it had a wonderful lasting creamy finish. The missus said it reminded her of 80s favourite Castle Eden, at its best and I had to agree.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

You're a lucky man A&H living in the midst of a real ale oasis!

Titanic brew one or two excellent BBBs, the most recent I've tried being Lifeboat. It's boring, brown and it's bitter but at 4% it's immensely drinkable due in part, I suspect, to Titanic's trademark bitter finish.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    You're a lucky man A&H living in the midst of a real ale oasis!

Titanic brew one or two excellent BBBs, the most recent I've tried being Lifeboat. It's boring, brown and it's bitter but at 4% it's immensely drinkable due in part, I suspect, to Titanic's trademark bitter finish.
    I know ROB, 'ob' and I can bang on about it, so I'll pass this time.

I tried Lifeboat a few weeks ago, but it didn't make much of an impression. However, it was sampled well into a session. I've come to the conclusion that BBBs, more than any other style , need to be tried early in a session, ideally on a fresh palate. After very hoppy ales, or those with a full roast character, BBBs just can't compete. A case in point was the Wold Top bitter praised above. When it was my first drink of the day I loved it. However, after a pint of Jaipur, I finished off the wife's and the flavour had been killed stone dead.
    Last edited by aleandhearty; 09-04-2013 at 12:22.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    After very hoppy ales, or those with a full roast character, BBBs just can't compete. A case in point was the Wold Top bitter praised above. When it was my first drink of the day I loved it. However, after a pint of Jaipur, I finished off the wife's and the flavour had been killed stone dead.
    I see that as being a problem with excessively hopped ales, rather than a problem with BBBs.

Chacun as they allegedly say in France a son gout.
    Come On You Hatters!