Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone for (boring) brown bitter?

There are some fairly mainstream non-pale bitters that I like a few of which have been mentioned :-

Adnam's Bitter
    Fuller's ESB
    Everard's Old Original
    Holden's Special
    Banks's Bitter
    Robinson's Best (now called Unicorn) and Double Hop
    Hook Norton Old Hooky
    Woodforde's Wherry, Nelson's Revenge and Admiral's Revenge
    Triple fff Moondance
    Harvey's Best
    Brakspear's Bitter

And a recent one Redemption Urban Dusk which is a dark bitter.

My boring list would include

Fuller's London Pride
    Well's Bombardier
    Young's Special
    Courage Best
    Courage Directors
    Tetley Bitter
    Sam Smith's OBB
    McMullen's AK
    McMullen's Country
    Draught Bass
    Greene King Ruddles

Plus many others no longer available!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Everards Tiger is on regulary at the Fighting Cocks and its a pretty good pint , a couple of local beers that are pretty good are Rowton Bitter which is a decent session beer , and Joules Pale Ale which is very similar to Bass when it was good , none of them are groundbreaking but are good beers of the style and i like a bit of variety to break up the monotony of Golden Hop Bombs
    Last edited by Oggwyn Trench; 26-08-2012 at 19:44.
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Everards Tiger is on regulary at the Fighting Cocks and its a pretty good pint , a couple of local beers that are pretty good are Rowton Bitter which is a decent session beer , and Joules Pale Ale which is very similar to Bass when it was good , none of them are groundbreaking but are good beers of the style and i like a bit of variety to break up the monotony of Golden Hop Bombs
    Give me Golden Hop Bombs all day long .
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Joules Pale Ale which is very similar to Bass when it was good
    I'm glad you said that as that's exactly what I thought when I had it. It's a really nice beer, I think.

This week I have had to put up with a lot of boring brown beer ,just a couple of pints a night down my local after work, which seems to be going through a boring brown beer phase this week. The delights Iv'e had to choose from this week so far were,
    the ever present Courage Best,the quite often present Doom Bar , Shep's Spitfire, Wells and Young's Bombardier and Sambrook's Wandle, all not only various shades of brown but bloody boring. There is always Gales HSB on which isn't boring but a bit strong for a swift one or two on the way home,one golden offering this week to date, the bloody awful Green King IPA Gold,not a good beer week.Light at the end of the tunnel though,the Darkstar delivery arrived today so the weekend should get better.
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    This week I have had to put up with a lot of boring brown beer ,just a couple of pints a night down my local after work, which seems to be going through a boring brown beer phase this week. The delights Iv'e had to choose from this week so far were,
    the ever present Courage Best,the quite often present Doom Bar , Shep's Spitfire, Wells and Young's Bombardier and Sambrook's Wandle, all not only various shades of brown but bloody boring. There is always Gales HSB on which isn't boring but a bit strong for a swift one or two on the way home,one golden offering this week to date, the bloody awful Green King IPA Gold,not a good beer week.Light at the end of the tunnel though,the Darkstar delivery arrived today so the weekend should get better.
    I don't believe I have ever tried Doombar, I must be the only one on these forums who can boast that!

If I eventually see it I won't be rushing to try it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I don't believe I have ever tried Doombar, I must be the only one on these forums who can boast that!

you must lead a charmed life to have escaped the the dreaded Doom Bar this far, it actually used to be a decent pint,alas no more it seems .
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Darkstar American Pale Ale tonight,to be followed by Hophead and Kiwi,a golden weekend ahead.
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post

Me too! I never came across it for ages; when I'd see it there were more exciting options available, (or what I thought were more exciting...)
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0061.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	799The beer on the left was mentioned by myself in the IPA's the good the bad and the ugly thread (bad),it also qualifies for the boring brown bitter category as does its bed mate in this picture.
    -W.C.Fields