Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone for (boring) brown bitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    I grew up in Sale Moor, used to drink in the Legh Arms, Temple, Sale Hotel, and The Bridge on Dane Rd. The Holts in The Legh was always spot on, multi room pub back then with a revolving main front door. I have a few tales to tell of that place.
    All my locals too along with The Carters. Sadly, the revolving door went from The Legh. I remember getting my mother-in-law's wheelchair up the five steps and through this door! Now there is a ramp via the vault. I've not been in the Sale Hotel since it reopened as The Moorfield .

Back on (boring) Brown Bitter, The Temple used to sell the excellent John Smith's Magnet. This dark "nutty" ale was easily the best beer JS produced and a sad day when it was discontinued. Far better than any of the c*** that they manufacture today!
    Last edited by AlanH; 27-02-2012 at 09:44.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Does Camerons Strongarm count? I like to grab this one when I see it. Also enjoy Fullers ESB.

From a new brewery, Beer Geek Geek Unique. Had a few glasses of this at their beer launch at the Post Office Vaults. I know I've found a good one when I am happy to sit in a pub drinking the same beer over and over again. That's something I don't get to do very often in these modern days of pale hoppy beers.

Noticed that most of the beers being listed here are from the older established breweries. Goes to show how times and tastes have changed. Wondering now if all those quoting the beers on here are from the older generation.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Has anyone mentioned Betty Stogs? Anyway, I think the consensus (on here anyway) is that brown beer doesn't have to be boring.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    .... the excellent John Smith's Magnet. This dark "nutty" ale was easily the best beer JS produced and a sad day when it was discontinued. Far better than any of the c*** that they manufacture today!
    Have to agree, a far superior brew. Must be twenty odd years since I had a pint though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    Anyway, I think the consensus (on here anyway) is that brown beer doesn't have to be boring.
    Being a world weary old cynic and knowing that everything is cyclical, I wouldn't be surprised if the Boak & Bailey article is the start of a revival supposedly championed by the beer bloggerati. The craft brewers will then start churning out their interpretations of the style, no doubt claiming they loved it all along, but still 're-inventing' to make it theirs. Six percent brews served from (key) kegs coming to a bar near you soon.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Hog's Back T.E.A.
    Salopian Darwin Origin
    Titanic Full Steam Ahead
    Wood Farm Best Bitter

The latter is brewed locally and it's the only one of the range I've tried but it looks boring and brown and flies down.
    Last edited by Thuck Phat; 28-02-2012 at 11:45.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Put Oakham Preacher on that list.It may be brown but certainly not boring with a subtle (for Oakham) citrus theme on a classic session pint

I just don't seem to like brown beer anymore, I was brought up on it but now I find it in general quite ordinary, of course there are exceptions ,I am quite partial to Betty Stogs for one, but where does brown change to dark or amber ,is there an exact line?Gales H.S.B. ,good,brown, but, dark brown.I think I've probably hit my own personal nail on the head,in general I don't find Best Bitters exciting anymore.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I just don't seem to like brown beer anymore, I was brought up on it but now I find it in general quite ordinary, of course there are exceptions ,I am quite partial to Betty Stogs for one, but where does brown change to dark or amber ,is there an exact line?Gales H.S.B. ,good,brown, but, dark brown.I think I've probably hit my own personal nail on the head,in general I don't find Best Bitters exciting anymore.
    Having stated the above in the previous post, I have in the last week found myself enjoying pints of Butcombe Bitter, Skinners Betty Stogs and even a pint of Courage Best. All were presented in tip top condition and I was more than happy to have more than one of each,especially the Betty Stogs.On the downside I suffered (not for long) some poor Woodfordes Wherry,something I normally find ok.Just goes to show you can never say never.
    -W.C.Fields

I normally like so-called "boring" brown beers because by-and-large they're not boring. OK, they're not going to blow the roof of your mouth off with hops tasting of grapefruit, but that's fine by me. There's one beer that was actually designed to be boring, though: Abbeydale Daily Bread. I had a pint of this a few years ago at The Office, which for a short time was owned by Abbeydale brewery and renamed The Moon. They had a range of Abbeydale beers, including this one. The manager was telling us the story of Daily Bread, which was brewed specifically to be like John Smiths, in an attempt to wean regulars off the ghastly smoothflow crap. Apparently the brewer was in tears on being instructed to create this abomination. I somehow managed to let myself be talked into drinking some, which was very cold and entirely devoid of taste. To say I felt cheated would be an understatement, but to be fair, he had told us it was modelled on John Smiths.

I've always avoided this beer since then, but the other night I was in the University Arms and didn't fancy any of the pale beers on offer so decided to give Daily Bread another try. Fair enough, it wasn't freezing cold this time, but it still tasted of absolutely nothing at all.
    Come On You Hatters!

What is boring brown beer? Most of it to my mind,or so I thought until I actually thought about it is to me boring,I could make a long list of boring brown beer,some of which are-
    Courage Best
    Sharps Doom Bar
    Sam Smiths OBB (very boring)
    Fullers London Pride
    Wells and Youngs Bombardier, and so on,
    But some I realised I do Actually like are
    Skinners Betty Stogs
    Woodfordes Wherry
    St Austell Tribute, are these actually brown beers,I think they are slightly paler than the previously mentioned,hence my like for them,but where do you draw the line,I also like Gales(Fullers)HSB which is very much brown,but as for your bog standard best bitter's I can give them a miss.
    -W.C.Fields