Visit the Called to the bar site

One of my favourite pub books
and on the list
Presciently it arrives in the inbox, just as I was lazily gearing up to write up a list of my 10 favourite beer books (but then I realise it’s very difficult to keep it to 10 so I’m glad of the diversion). The Institute of Beer And Distilling Beer Book Sale/Auction is an annual event in which the Institute gets rid of a load of second-hand books on brewing, beer, the industry, history and pubs — I’ve got a list with guide prices in front of me, which as a member of the Brewery History Society I received yesterday. They are some intriguing titles here including The Brewers Pocket Companion (1901, guide price: £26), the magnificently off-centre London Pubs (1962, guide price £6), my own Big Book of Beer (2005, a snip at £6) and plenty of brewery histories, pamphlets and so on. I must admit to being tempted by a few things on display. For more information go here where there will be a full list of books and details on how to bid. And perhaps my best beer books list will have to wait a bit longer.

More...