Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random beer news of the day

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Random beer news of the day

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post

I heard that on the BBC this morning and thought that makes a change from repeating lies about alcohol consumption.

I must say I've never broken a bone when I've been drunk so I will keep taking the medicine.

Another load of rubbish fact produced by research that could probably have been better spent elsewhere. Lynne suffered breaks in both arms within 18months from minor falls. Long term steroid use for another ailment weakened the bones. She also drank beer and wine in moderation, both recommended
    These pointless reports are often refuted by other research else where.Sorry if I sound bitter its because I am . I put these results up there with claims by Quack Doctors and Snake Oil Salesman. They give false hopes to people who are suffering painful,crippling and perhaps fatal diseases simply because the research is done at reputable Universities. Health Product Shops make a fortune on selling stuff which states it "May" help.Lynne tried everything to ease the pain caused by arthritis, only paracetamol was permitted to her, but despite spending a fortune these alternatives did nothing.
    No way having a rant at you Conrad. This has been bubbling away since it was mentioned on the radio early this morning. These researchers have to substantiate their grants but these meaningless remarks should be considered before being made public.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Don't worry ark, I know you aren't having a go at me, I kind of agree with what you are saying. I do however blame the press, most of these articles are released in the science press and will actually be about 1 component in beer, the idea being that pharmaceuticals can one day focus on getting that component and make it useful. Someone in the mainstream press spots this article and proceeds to write a drivel article on it.

I tend to just smile and laugh at them, was definitely posted with the intent of the sort of reply ob dropped rather than any real medical advise.

Dave will be along shortly to explain how Bristol university have linked this conversation to smoking (a few years back it seemed to be that Bristol University would release an article every week explaining how their statisticians had linked something ridiculous to smoking).

Cheers Conrad. You actually beat me to making a remark about it. I have something cooking on another forum and have had a busy morning.......arwkrite.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Dave will be along shortly to explain how Bristol university have linked this conversation to smoking (a few years back it seemed to be that Bristol University would release an article every week explaining how their statisticians had linked something ridiculous to smoking).

Don't get me started on the centre for Public Understanding of Science at Bristol University!

My academic background is in both science and statistics, the drivel that they used to publish was a quite extraordinary abuse of both - but the media just lapped it up. Their strategy was to monitor huge test groups of smokers and non smokers and draw wild conclusions based on differences between the two suggesting that the link must be smoking. That isn't science as I know it and really only fuels the public misunderstanding and distrust of science, I'm not sure they'd be willing to change the department name to that though.

As Conrad says though I probably only feel the need to rant about such things because I was exposed to passive smoking as a child.

Excellent article, Conrad! (by the way why indian news? )

Very good excuse for me going on pub crawl tomorrow in Brum!

No wonder mouthwash is filled with alcohol..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    (by the way why indian news? )
    I have no idea, I knew it was published in the Independent this morning (heard it on The Today programme, probably the same as Ark) and did a search for "Independent beer bones" on Google, I thought it was telling me that I was going to the Independent and clearly didn't realise I had gone Indian.

I need more sleep......more beer and more sleep.

Real Ale Drinker

Well done Conrad you certainly find interesting subjects, i enjoyed reading the article.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Actually the highlight for me today has been this one:
    Kingfisher diving

I can think of no way of linking that sensibly back to pubs but it is just such an amazing image.