Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Circle Line

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    Goldhawk Road W12 Stinging Nettle, 55 Goldhawk Road
    Went past last night and this one is boarded up and for sale (as a shop... which seems rather extraodinary, given its location).

This Space For Hire

Sorry to sound trainspotterish but, although you appear to have realised that the Circle line is no longer circular by your station list, have you contemplated that the majority of trains on the route are not Circle line trains but Metropolitan on the northern side and District on the south. So are you going to take the next available train, unless it is turning off the route of course? Important to get these things straight, so not having to decide when half cut! On a more helpful note, if you have a smartphone, download the LT app from Routemaster (free) which gives you live Next Train indicators.

Now I remember when the Circle line boasted some bars on the station platforms, not that they were much to boast about...
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    £300 between six of you , in London , what you going to do after the third pub
    We've had more money that that on one occasion and it's just accepted that by the time we've covered the train fare and Travelodge as well we'll end up chipping in some extra.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Went past last night and this one is boarded up and for sale (as a shop... which seems rather extraodinary, given its location).
    Thanks. I'll scrub that one. The main PG site needs updating then.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Sorry to sound trainspotterish but, although you appear to have realised that the Circle line is no longer circular by your station list, have you contemplated that the majority of trains on the route are not Circle line trains but Metropolitan on the northern side and District on the south. So are you going to take the next available train, unless it is turning off the route of course?
    Thanks. I think if we try to stick to Circle Line only trains we'll be wasting drinking time so, for example, if it's a District Line train that gets us to the next chosen station we'll go with that.
    Waes hael!

Thanks. I'll scrub that one. The main PG site needs updating then.....
    I submitted a closure request for the Stinging Nettle just after posting my comment on the forum yesterday so I'm sure the admins will update the entry shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I submitted a closure request for the Stinging Nettle just after posting my comment on the forum yesterday so I'm sure the admins will update the entry shortly.
    Top man.
    Waes hael!

Well this is how the day went. We met up at the JDW Metropolitan Bar at Baker Street and spent a while arguing over how complicated our rules should be, eventually settling on rolling a single dice to determine how many stops we should travel in an anti-clockwise direction on the Circle Line, ignoring the spur off to Hammersmith. The first roll of the dice was a 4 taking us to the Old Swan near to Notting Hill (it could have been worse, I suppose) followed by a 1 so we walked down the road to the Churchill Arms (which we decided could have been Notting Hill or High Street Kensington) – possibly the most interesting pub of the day.

We threw a 5 from there which was a bit disappointing because, as it was an outing between former colleagues, we were only too familiar with the offerings around the London office next to St James’s Park tube station. We weren’t too bothered about whether we jumped on the Cicle or District Line as long as we got to where we needed to be but after a slight mis-hap with the District Line taking us off in the wrong direction we turned around at Earl’s Court and went back to High Street Ken and started that leg of the journey again. We opted for the Buckingham Arms in Petty France – unspectacular was the word that sprang to mind.

We threw a 6 next which took us to the Bell at Cannon Street. Another pub that was OK but it didn’t stand out.

By late afternoon we started to lose our discipline a bit and next ended up at the popular Jerusalem Tavern near Farringdon.

Yet another 6 took us to Paddington which meant we completed the circle – surprising how long it can take. From there we seemed to walk a bit aimlessly and ended up at the Mitre near to Lancaster Gate (on the Central Line). That was my last pub as I was on an advance train ticket.

Overall a fairly average bunch of pubs, partly because of the way the dice fell and partly because we couldn’t agree between us which were the best pubs at each tube station. It could have been a good crawl on a different day and maybe if my list had given the group a bit less choice at each stop, offering only the best pub near to each station
    Waes hael!

Overall a fairly average bunch of pubs, partly because of the way the dice fell and partly because we couldn’t agree between us which were the best pubs at each tube station. It could have been a good crawl on a different day and maybe if my list had given the group a bit less choice at each stop, offering only the best pub near to each station
    Sounds like an interesting day out. Randomising the pubs like that is a new idea to me, but it certainly seems to work for the Circle line. I might try it myself some time, and would definitely benefit from your experience regarding planning and discipline!
    Come On You Hatters!

Cool

I always enjoy a random pub crawl bad pubs just make you appreciate the good pubs all the more
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deer-table.png 
Views:	203 
Size:	717.3 KB 
ID:	723
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"