Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circle Line

Default Circle Line

London calling. I am doing a crawl of the Circle Line in May. It will involve rolling a die to see how many stops we advance from one pub to the next. I'm not sure whether we will include the branch out to Hammersmith so I have included them for completeness. If we don't I'm happy that we will just go around in a circle - the world is your Oyster .... card.

For each tube station I have listed (below) at least two decent real ale pubs (according to PG reviews - excluding the 10/10 rated ones from once only reviewers) within reasonably close proximity (GBG pubs are a bonus). I have tried to put them in order of preference against each tube station.

If anyone is familiar with the Circle Line and has any suggestions for pubs fitting the above criteria, that I may have missed out or placed in the wrong order I would be grateful for your comments.

Cheers

Hammersmith W6 Swan, 46 Hammersmith Broadway (Nchlsns); Hop Poles, King Street
    Goldhawk Road W12 Stinging Nettle, 55 Goldhawk Road; The Goldhawk, 122 Goldhawk Road
    Shepherds Bush Market W12 The Green, Uxbridge Road, Crown and Sceptre, 57 Melina Road (GBG)
    Wood Lane W12 No pubs here
    Latimer Road W10 No real ale pubs here
    Ladbroke Grove W10 The Elgin, 96 Ladbroke Grove
    Westbourne Park W11 Angie’s Freehouse II, 33 Woodfield Place
    Royal Oak W2 Porchester, 88 Bishops Bridge Road
    Paddington W2 Mad Bishop and Bear, The Lawn, Paddington Station (GBG); Cleveland Arms, 28 Chilworth Street (GBG); Victoria, 10A Strathearn Place (GBG)
    Edgware Road W2 Royal Exchange, 26 Sale Place; Windsor Castle, 27 Crawford Place
    Baker Street NW1 Metropolitan Bar, Station Approach (JDW); Globe, 43 Marylebone Road
    Great Portland Street W1W The Albany, 240 Great Portland Street; Masons Arms, 58 Devonshire Street
    Euston Square NW1 Bree Louise, 69 Cobourg Street (GBG); Euston Tap, 190 Euston Road; Doric Arch, 1 Eversholt Street (GBG)
    Kings Cross St Pancras NW1 King Charles I, 55 Northdown Street (GBG); Skinners Arms, 114 Judd Street; Euston Flyer, 83 Euston Road (GBG)
    Farringdon EC1M The Castle, 35 Cowcross Street; Sir John Oldcastle, 29 Farringdon Road (JDW)
    Barbican EC1M Hand and Shears, 1 Middle Street; Rising Sun, 38 Cloth Fair
    Moorgate EC2M The Globe, 83 Moorgate (Nchlsns); Red Lion, 1 Eldon Street
    Liverpool Street EC2M Lord Aberconway, 73 Old Broad Street (Nichlsns); Kings Arms, 27 Wormwood Street
    Aldgate EC3N Still and Star, 15 Little Somerset Street (Fllrs); East India Arms, 67 Fenchurch St (GBG)
    Tower Hill EC3N Liberty Bounds, 15 Trinity Square (JDW); Hung Drawn and Quartered, 27 Great Tower Street (Fllrs); Peacock, 41 Minories (GBG);
    Monument EC3V The Ship, 11 Talbot Court (Nichlsns); The Monument, 18 Fish Street Hill
    Cannon Street EC4N The Bell, 29 Bush Lane, The Vintry, Abchurch Yd, Abchurch Lane (Fllrs)
    Mansion House EC4V The Hatchet, 28 Garlick Hill; Ye Olde Watling, 29 Watling St;
    Blackfriars SE1 Black Friar, 174 Queen Victoria St, The Cockpit, 7 St Andrews Hill
    Temple WC2R Edgar Wallace, 40 Essex St (GBG); Cheshire Cheese, 5 Little Essex St; Devereux, 20 Devereux Court, Essex St (GBG)
    Embankment WC2N Tattershall Castle (boat), Victoria Embankment; Ship and Shovel, 1- 3 Craven Passage
    Westminster SW1A St Stephen’s Tavern, 10 Bridge Street (GBG); Red Lion, 48 Parliament St; Westminster Arms, 9 Storeys Gate
    St James’s Park SW1H Buckingham Arms, 62 Petty France (GBG); Old Star, 66 Broadway; Feathers, 230 Broadway; Adam and Eve, 81 Petty France; Sanctuary House Hotel, 33 Tothill Street (GBG)
    Victoria SW1V Duke of York, 134 Victoria St; Willow Walk (JDW), 25 Wilton Road
    Sloane Square SW1W Duke of Wellington, 63 Eaton Terrace; Fox & Hounds, 29 Passmore Street
    South Kensington SW7 Hoop & Troy, 34 Thurloe Place; Zetland Arms, 2 Bute Street
    Gloucester Road SW7 Hereford Arms, Gloucester Road; Stanhope Arms, Gloucester Road
    High Street Kensington W8 Goat Tavern, 3A Kensington High St
    Notting Hill Gate W11 Old Swan, 206 Kensington Church St; Uxbridge Arms, 13 Uxbridge St (GBG); Churchill Arms, 119 Kensington Church St (GBG)
    Bayswater W2 Kings Head, Moscow Road; Price Alfred 112 Queensway
    Paddington W2 See above
    Edgware Road W2 See above
    Waes hael!

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Don't know what day of the week you're circulating, but bear in mind that most City pubs (say Farringdon - Temple) are closed on weekends and Bank Holidays.

Anyway, here's a few more to consider:
    Faringdon: Craft Beer Co; Jerusalem Tavern (St. Peter's)
    Victoria: Cask & Glass (Shepherd Neame)

Enjoy your day out!
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

I'm very jealous as this sounds like a great day out. I'm not sure if you are doing this at the weekend, but if you are you should note that Cannon Street Station is closed Saturdays and Sundays until mid 2012.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    I would be grateful for your comments.
    I personally think the Bree Louise isn't the best and you'd be much better served by the Euston Tap.
    Last edited by Quinno; 15-02-2012 at 23:08.

at least you've missed The Waitangi Day Pub Crawl
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

My suggestions would be...

Euston - as per Quinno's recommendation, the Tap ahead of the Bree Louise
    Liverpool Street - the Magpie is worth a look - a Nicholsons with a good range of ales.
    Embankment - Ship & Shovell every time!
    Victoria - Could try the Plumbers Arms - a better than average Taylor Walker - it's where Lady Lucan ran in after being attacked in "that" incident!
    Sloane Square - Fox & Hounds over the Duke of Boots - closer and more character.
    South Kensington - Try the Anglesea Arms - not that much further to walk than some of your other stops.
    High Street Kensington - the Elephant & Castle - was my local when I worked there - good back street pub. The Prince of Wales is also decent enough. Both are nearer than the Goat which is rubbish!
    Last edited by RogerB; 16-02-2012 at 12:01.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Bear in mind that the circle line has not run at weekends for ages. Probably 2 years or more. Pathetic!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Bear in mind that the circle line has not run at weekends for ages. Probably 2 years or more. Pathetic!
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/livetravelnews...r/default.aspx
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Thanks for the comments so far (and especially Roger B's and Paul's suggestions).

Just to confirm that it will be a Friday daytime/evening crawl so no real concerns about weekend closing around the City and government offices near St James's. The kitty for the day out is derived from a football betting competition that my current/former colleagues and I participate in and pool the winnings (and fines imposed) to spend on beer on a day out every summer. We're up to nearly £300 between 6 of us (£1.30 outlay each per week during the football season), to date, so it may yet cover beer and rail travel if we continue our good form.

I recognise what Quinno and Roger B say about the Bree Louise and Euston Tap. Coming from Euston Square the Bree Louise is closer and the Euston Tap can get more crowded than a rush hour tube so we'll probably have to play it by ear and see how busy it is when we arrive at some random time.
    Waes hael!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

£300 between six of you , in London , what you going to do after the third pub
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !