Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 14 Feb 2010)

I was told that my local, The Fox put on new real ale yesterday.. Harvieston's Bitter and Twisted

I haven't tried it but will sample it later with my old man. Is it good beer? Should I drink it?
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Harviestoun Bitter and Twisted. Is it good beer? Should I drink it?
    I love it Hoppy and, if you know and like the style of Darkstar Hophead, Oakham JHB & such-like, you will too.
    I had to severely ration the 16 bottles that travelled with me to France last year - one a day is ludicrously frugal, but that's all there was on the shelf at Sainsbos!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I love it Hoppy and, if you know and like the style of Darkstar Hophead, Oakham JHB & such-like, you will too.
    I had to severely ration the 16 bottles that travelled with me to France last year - one a day is ludicrously frugal, but that's all there was on the shelf at Sainsbos!
    Ta! I dont normally drink hoppy beers but willing give it a go. I am more stout/porter drinker.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

The cask version (3.8%) is rather lighter and less hoppy than Harvieston's Bitter and Twisted in bottled form (4.2%).

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    I am more stout/porter drinker.
    Ah, it won't be your cup o' tea then...

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    The cask version (3.8%) is rather lighter and less hoppy than Harvieston's Bitter and Twisted in bottled form (4.2%).
    Yep, another beer where the bottled version is stronger but I very much enjoy both.
    I noticed that Castle Rock's Harvest Pale was 4.3% in bottle vs 3.8% from cask, but the largest difference I've seen recently was Adnams Broadside - 4.7% on tap, but a whopping 6.3% in bottles ('Broadside Strong Original').

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Yep, another beer where the bottled version is stronger but I very much enjoy both.
    ..........Adnams Broadside - 4.7% on tap, but a whopping 6.3% in bottles ('Broadside Strong Original').
    I like bottled Twitter and Bisted a lot but find the cask version a bit bland. I'm sure it's not just the alcohol level, it simply doesn't have the taste. Same applies to both Broadside and Hobgoblin....
    Last edited by runningdog; 14-02-2010 at 17:03. Reason: Fingers
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

It was a close run thing for me this week. I wanted to give it to Rudgate’s Ruby Mild as I found it being served from a cask on the bar of a pub that had recently changed hands and there were fears about the future of the real ale.

However yesterday I encountered the excellent Dark Hare from Bath Ales and for quality that beats anything I’ve had recently. So that’s my BotW.

I like the "beers I've tried this week" listing, hat-tip to HTM69, so here's my list of beers drunk in a pub this week (I'm missing out the bottles drunk at home), I'm sure RogerB will put it to shame but I enjoyed (almost) every pint even one or two John Smith's,

Draught Guinness
    Tetley's Cask
    York - Centurion's Ghost
    Brimstage - Rhode Island Red
    Rudgate - Mild 793
    Salopian - Oracle
    Timmy Taylor - Landlord
    Black Sheep - Riggwelter
    Rudgate - Viking
    John Smith's Cask
    Peroni 330ml bottle (just one)
    York - Guzzler
    Saltaire - Blonde
    Thwaites - Hops and Misses
    Roosters - Huntsman's Ale (not their usual style but pretty good)
    Naylors - Cravenbrau
    Salamander - Cromarty Porter

Winner is Rudgate Viking in an unpromising looking pub in Nidderdale that turned out very good, runner up Centurion's Ghost drunk ironically* in Liverpool, Lancs.

(*no comments about split infinitives please, Lancs is the ironic bit not the drinking of)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Well I think my beer of the week is going to have to go to Badger's Pickled Partridge, my wife kindly picked them up during the weekly shop and I have been enjoying them during the course of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Well I think my beer of the week is going to have to go to Badger's Pickled Partridge, my wife kindly picked them up during the weekly shop and I have been enjoying them during the course of the week.
    Just a thought, how many of us include bottled beer in our BotW consideration. I don't, but that's partly because it'd bluidy boring.
    'runningdog' Exmoor Beast ad drinkitdownum..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........