Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 14 Feb 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Several excellent beers on the bar in The Baum last night.

Batemans Hooker, Wychwood Dirty Tackle, Phoenix Massacre, Prospect Red Hop Lover and the best of the lot Indulgence which claims it is brewed by Toons Beer or Beer Toons.

I can't find any reference to this brewery anywhere. Anybody got any idea?

doesnt help that much but page 5
    http://www.waverleytbs.co.uk/Site/26...20Brochure.pdf
    Last edited by hondo; 10-02-2010 at 09:34.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Several excellent beers on the bar in The Baum last night.... Prospect Red Hop Lover.
    Just used the link from 'hondo' and saw this beer mentioned. It's actually brewed by Brewsters not Prospect. I'm not nit picking, but just wanted to say that Brewsters 'Decadence' was one of my favourite beers last year. RHL is described as a red ale hopped with American varieties. Sounds fascinating, would love to try it, given the brewery's track record for awards.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

An early leader for me, Dorset Ammonite. Not my usual style, but well worth a try or two. Mind you, it might not stay on top for long, I'm off to try the Bengal Lancer tonight...........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Thanks for that Hondo. WaverleyTBS is where it came from as they offered Simon the landlord a deal if he bought several off them at once, hence Dirty Tackle, Hooker et al.

Still don't know who they are though.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Just used the link from 'hondo' and saw this beer mentioned. It's actually brewed by Brewsters not Prospect. I'm not nit picking, but just wanted to say that Brewsters 'Decadence' was one of my favourite beers last year. RHL is described as a red ale hopped with American varieties. Sounds fascinating, would love to try it, given the brewery's track record for awards.
    You are of course correct a&h. I even have the pump clip here at home (before it goes on Ebay) and still got it wrong.

Sadly it went after I'd had one pint last night, still the Phoenix Massacre replaced it, so it wasn't all bad news.

Another of our local breweries Green Mill delivered last night (from the back of his estate car as usual, it must play hell with the cars springs). Another 9 of Big Chief, it always goes down well at the Baum.

He got a silver medal at the SIBA North awards. Did you see any at the SIBA beer festival in Nottingham trainman?
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

My BOTW definitely goes to Exmoor's BEAST in The Britannia, Rowley Regis. Now I know why Runningdog loves to drink the BEAST. It is frigging awesome! Very DANGEROUSLY drinkable..

I felt very light headed after just one pint..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    I felt very light headed after just one pint..
    Glad you enjoyed it, Hops, old son.
    Ps I've nicked your pick for me screen saver
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Quote Originally Posted by runningdog View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it, Hops, old son.
    Ps I've nicked your pick for me screen saver
    No problem.. help yourself

Now I can only hope my local JDW will stock BEAST so I can drink it all day..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    just wanted to say that Brewsters 'Decadence' was one of my favourite beers last year.
    Yep, I looked up Brewster's Brewery after enjoying Daffy's Elixir last year. This enlightened me with the fact that a brewster is a female brewer and this one, Sara Barton, is producing some excellent ales. Perhaps a visit to Grantham could be on the cards...

Another of our local breweries Green Mill delivered last night (from the back of his estate car as usual, it must play hell with the cars springs). Another 9 of Big Chief, it always goes down well at the Baum.
    He got a silver medal at the SIBA North awards. Did you see any at the SIBA beer festival in Nottingham trainman?
    No ROB, but I wouldn't necessarily have remembered! I see the list has a Mill Green MILD, but that's just coincidence of similar brewery name - full list att'd;

http://www.castlerockbrewery.co.uk/p...ebeerfest.html

Bizarrely, The North seems not to have been represented in the Best, Premium, & Strong Bitter Categories.
    Last edited by trainman; 10-02-2010 at 11:14. Reason: absent Northern Bitters..

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Yep, I looked up Brewster's Brewery after enjoying Daffy's Elixir last year. This enlightened me with the fact that a brewster is a female brewer and this one, Sara Barton, is producing some excellent ales.
    ....As is the much praised Tara Mallinson, based in Huddersfield: www.drinkmallinsons.co.uk
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.